Good Universe has set Captain Phillips scribe Billy Ray to direct his script Departure. Jim Whitaker will produce the sci-fi/romance film and Good Universe’s Joe Drake and Nathan Kahane will executive produce. Good Universe has the project on the fast-track and will begin casting right away. Based on the true story of a never-explained avionic phenomenon, Departure follows a brilliant Miami-based FAA investigator who is obsessed with learning how a 727 suddenly vanished into thin air and then reappeared in the exact same spot ten minutes later. As mysterious occurrences continue to occur with increasing frequency in the skies over Miami, the investigation becomes personal when the employee’s beloved wife is on one of the planes affected. The story is inspired by the book Ghosts Of The Air by Martin Caidin, which documents real accounts from pilots who have experienced flight anomalies. Billy Ray is represented by CAA, Management 360 and attorney Peter Nichols.
Cannes: Good Universe Sets Billy Ray To Helm ‘Departure’
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Flying To Decent $60.3M: But Why Is Opening Lower Than ‘Into Darkness’?
- Noureen DeWulf Books Three Film Roles; Hannah Rose May Joins ‘The Recall’
- Joss Whedon’s Sermon On The Con: “The Dialogue Between Audiences And Studios Is Defaulting”
- RealD's 3D Projection Patents Upheld By U.S. International Trade Org
- Life After ‘Orphan Black’? Tatiana Maslany & Creators Discuss – Comic-Con
- Mark Boal Decries Military “Fishing Expedition” In Bowe Bergdahl Case