Gilles Jacob joined the Cannes Film Festival as its general delegate in 1977 and assumed the presidency in 2001. Now 83 years old, the prolific critic, author and director says he will step down in 2015. In an interview to be published this weekend, Jacob tells southern France newspaper Nice-Matin, “I’ve promised my wife several times that I would stop. This time, I’m going to do it.” Over the past 12 years, Jacob has taken on something of a figurehead role with the fest’s executive and artistic director Thierry Frémaux handling the official selection since 2001 as well as other managerial duties. But Jacob is a Cannes fixture who has long been a symbol of the festival. Over his nearly 40 years with the event, he has been responsible for such innovations as the Camera d’Or prize which goes to a first time filmmaker, and for the Un Certain Regard sidebar which runs concurrently with the Competition. He also stands alongside Frémaux at the top of the red-carpeted steps welcoming guests to every Competition screening during the festival’s ten day run. He has documented the festival in documentary and short films that include 2012’s Cannes anniversary movie A Special Day. His latest book, Les Pas Perdus, was published in France on April 24.
Cannes Film Festival President Gilles Jacob To Step Down In 2015: Report
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Update
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Latest Film News
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best…
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?