Senna helmer Asif Kapadia will direct Ali And Nino for UK producer PeaPie Films. IM Global is handling worldwide sales with production set for early 2014. Atonement scribe Christopher Hampton adapted the epic WWI love story that’s set in Azerbaijan where Ali Khan Shirvanshir, the male descendant of a royal Muslim family, falls in love with Nino Kipiani, a beautiful, Christian, Georgian princess. It’s based on the novel by Kurban Said that was published in 1937. PeaPie’s Kris Thykier (Kick-Ass, One Chance) is producing. Lelya Aliyeva is executive producer. Kapadia works across documentaries and fiction. His 2001 film The Warrior won the BAFTA for Best British Film. He’s an exec producer on Cannes official selection title Monsoon Shootout and is also due to direct an as-yet untitled Amy Winehouse documentary.
Cannes: Asif Kapadia To Helm WWI Love Story ‘Ali And Nino’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office FINAL: 'Maze Runner' Finds $32.5M; Liam's 'Walk' Limps In With $12.7M; 'Where I Leave You,' $11.5M
More From Tartaglione
- 'Maze Runner' Adds $38M Internationally With No. 1s In 50 Countries; 'Apes' Crosses $100M In China
- Universal Changes Course On International Stewardship; Duncan Clark To Head Ops From London
- 'Saint Laurent' Tapped As France's Entry Into Foreign Language Oscar Race
- 'Downton Abbey' Season 5 Premiere In UK Least Watched Since Series Opener
- Peter Kujawski Named Managing Director Of Universal Pictures Int'l Productions
- 'Mommy' To Rep Canada In Foreign-Lingo Oscar Race; Belgium Picks 'Two Days, One Night'