Antonio Banderas will play Mario Sepulveda, aka Super Mario, in The 33, the feature version of the saga of the 33 Chilean miners who were trapped underground for 69 days in 2010. Martin Sheen and Rodrigo Santoro are also joining the ensemble. Mike Medavoy secured the miners’ exclusive life rights last year and developed the project in collaboration with the men, their rescuers and their families. Patricia Riggen (La Misma Luna) will direct with production scheduled to begin in the fall. Good Universe is handling international sales. Medavoy and Edward McGurn are producing with Carlos Eugenio Lavin and Leopoldo Enriquez exec producing.
Cannes: Antonio Banderas Joins ‘The 33’; Good Universe Selling Chilean Miners Movie
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- The First ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Trailer Hits Like A Punch To The Head
- Kevin Costner To Narrate MMA Doc ‘Hurt Business’; Kickboxer Remake Sequel A Go
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘99 Homes’ Director Ramin Bahrani On Shannon, Garfield & “Web Of Corruption”…
- Bridge Independent & Ketchup Ink Digital Deal
- ‘The Danish Girl’s Tom Hooper On “Moving” Transgender Response To The Film…
- The Sony Hack One Year Later: Just Who Are The Guardians Of Peace?