EXCLUSIVE: Deirdre O’Connor has been tapped to write the screenplay for Fox 2000‘s movie musical revolving around the catalog of the Beach Boys. O’Connor, who was nominated for a WGA Award for her work on Lifetime’s Five project, has penned a new take on the pic working closely with director Michael Sucsy. There’s not many details on the new version, but I understand O’Connor’s script is different from the Susannah Grant pitch Fox 2000 paid north of $2 million for in October 2010. That logline had the music serving as a backdrop to an original narrative, a la superhit Mamma Mia! The pitch then: “The story takes place in Southern California over a summer in the ’60s. It’s inspired by the sounds of the Beach Boys music and the beach culture of that time.” Craig Zadan, Neil Meron and John Stamos are still producing, having teamed previously on the biographical ABC miniseries The Beach Boys: An American Family. (There is a Beach Boys project out there that takes the biopic track: River Road’s Love And Mercy which company founder Bill Pohlad will direct with Paul Dano playing the young Brian Wilson.) O’Connor, repped by Gersh, previously sold an untitled dramedy project to Paramount with Fake Empire producing.
Fox 2000’s Beach Boys Pic Sings New Tune With Deirdre O’Connor Writing
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Morgan Freeman “Devastated” Over Allegations, Says “I Did Not Assault Women” In New Statement
- Conan O’Brien Casts Roger Ailes Movie: Who Will Gary Sinise Or Mick Jagger Play?
- ‘Sesame Street’ Bosses Grouchy With STX Over Melissa McCarthy Flick ‘Happytime Murders’
- ‘American Exit’ Picked Up For Distribution By Lionsgate, Grindstone Entertainment
- Haley Bennett-Starring ‘Swallow’ Rounds Out Cast
- Netflix And Telefónica Confirm Their Partnership On Twitter