Less than two months after a judge entered a not guilty plea for him, James Holmes now wants to claim not guilty by reason of insanity. In a not unexpected filing today, lawyers for the accused Aurora theater shooter say they will formally request the plea change at a May 13 hearing. Holmes is accused of killing 12 moviegoers during a shooting spree last summer at a Cinemark theater midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises. He is charged with 166 counts of murder, attempted murder and other crimes. In late March, prosecutors rejected an offer from Holmes’ attorneys that would have their client willing to plead guilty and spend the rest of his life in prison without parole if he could escape the death penalty. On April 1, Arapahoe County District Attorney George Brauchler said he would be seeking to put Holmes on Death Row. The families of several victim of the shooting are also pursuing theater chain Cinemark with wrongful death suits with a May 5, 2014 trial date set. Rejecting a magistrate’s recommendation to dismiss, last month a federal judge ruled that the case will go forward.
Aurora Theater Shooter Now Pleads Insanity
What's Hot on Deadline
'Captain America: Civil War' To Break Out In The U.S.; Looks To Defeat 'Ultron's $191M+ Debut - Box Office Preview
'Captain America: Civil War' Grabs $200.4M In Debut; 'Jungle Book' A Beast, And With 'Zootopia' Disney Has $1.24B From Three Titles - Int'l Box Office Final
Donald Trump Drums Ted Cruz Out Of Race, Praises Him As "One Hell Of A Competitor" with "Amazing Future"
Latest Film News
- Hulu Acquires Ron Howard’s Beatles Documentary To Launch Docu Films Arm
- Kevin Dillon & DeRon Horton Planted As Leads In ‘Dirt’
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Is Target In ‘Why We’re Killing Gunther’
- ‘Diary Of An Oxygen Thief’ Sells To S&S Imprint Gallery After Gotham Group Buys Screen Rights
- FilmRise Grabs Global Rights to SXSW Thriller ‘My Father Die’; Kino Lorber’s Sol Y Luna Acquires ‘Lucha Mexico…
- ‘A Bigger Splash’ Review: Sex, Seduction, Rock ‘N’ Roll & Naked Stars – Do We Have…