The network will launch its new “WATCH ABC” live-streaming service on Tuesday during upfronts, available first to users in NY via WABC-TV and in Philadelphia via WPVI. Owner Disney launched three successful branded services last summer — WATCH Disney Channel, WATCH Disney XD, and WATCH Disney Junior — yielding nearly 15 million downloads. ABC‘s free preview hopes to follow suit, making available linear streaming of local ABC stations and on-demand full episodes of ABC programming to authenticated subscribers who can access the service online or via the WATCH app on iOS, Kindle Fire. Eventually the service will be available via Samsung Galaxy devices. The initial launch will expand to LA, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh-Durham, and Fresno later this summer, with 13 additional Hearst-owned ABC affiliates to follow including Boston, Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Milwaukee. The network promises full adoption across all ABC-owned station markets by the Fall broadcast season, with an ABC Family-centric version rolling out in 2014.
ABC To Launch First Live Broadcast Streaming App On Tuesday
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Fox Writers Intensive Accepting Nominations
- GSN Orders 'Baggage' Spinoff; Jerry Springer To Return As Host
- Mark Feuerstein Joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'; Nick Clifford In VH1's 'Hindsight'
- Rosie's Return Snares Big Ratings For 'The View'
- NBC Finishes No. 1 In 18-49 Demo For 2013-14 Primetime Season
- RATINGS RAT RACE: Revamped 'Dancing With The Stars' Snags Smallest Crowd For Fall Debut