EXCLUSIVE: USA is eyeing an expansion of the upcoming eighth (and possibly final) season of Psych. I’ve learned that the network has ordered five more scripts from the veteran sleuth dramedy as a step toward a potential back episodic order. USA picked up an eight-episode eighth season of Psych in December, ahead of the show’s seventh-season premiere in February. Despite a long hiatus, Psych returned strong, drawing 2.9 million for its bow, up double digits in viewers and all key demos versus its Season 6 debut. The additional script order comes on the heels of Psych posting more strong numbers last Wednesday, including 2.8 million viewers, up 23% from the previous week. The series about a faux psychic (James Roday) and his best friend (Dule Hill) who work for the Santa Barbara Police Department also continues to be a huge draw on social media. It is unclear how the new scripts will handle Psych‘s female lead character, played by Maggie Lawson, who stars in the Cullen Bros. ABC comedy pilot. If the pilot, which is pretty hot, goes to series, Lawson will be available to do up to five episodes of Psych in Season 8.
USA’s ‘Psych’ Gets Order For 5 More Scripts
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'