EXCLUSIVE: USA is eyeing an expansion of the upcoming eighth (and possibly final) season of Psych. I’ve learned that the network has ordered five more scripts from the veteran sleuth dramedy as a step toward a potential back episodic order. USA picked up an eight-episode eighth season of Psych in December, ahead of the show’s seventh-season premiere in February. Despite a long hiatus, Psych returned strong, drawing 2.9 million for its bow, up double digits in viewers and all key demos versus its Season 6 debut. The additional script order comes on the heels of Psych posting more strong numbers last Wednesday, including 2.8 million viewers, up 23% from the previous week. The series about a faux psychic (James Roday) and his best friend (Dule Hill) who work for the Santa Barbara Police Department also continues to be a huge draw on social media. It is unclear how the new scripts will handle Psych‘s female lead character, played by Maggie Lawson, who stars in the Cullen Bros. ABC comedy pilot. If the pilot, which is pretty hot, goes to series, Lawson will be available to do up to five episodes of Psych in Season 8.
USA’s ‘Psych’ Gets Order For 5 More Scripts
What's Hot on Deadline
Bloomberg Scrubs White House Correspondents' Dinner Party As Donald Trump Vows To "Do Something" About Press
'Nashville' Creator Callie Khouri On Tragic Twist, Its Inevitability & Aftermath And Why Fans Should Keep Watching
Bill Maher Under Gun Over Late-'90s Video Condoning Sex Between 33-Year-Old Teacher And 12-Year-Old Student
Latest TV News
- WGA Members "Ready To Strike" After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop ‘Blood Bath…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'