Reviews are decidedly mixed. And domestic grosses still could portend an obit. But Tom Cruise in his new scifi pic Oblivion is in orbit overseas with a #1 opening in 48 of 52 international territories this weekend. Friday’s gross is an estimated $13.1M at 7,464 dates for an early total of $23.1M and a weekend estimate of $60.5M. That includes a record-breaking #1 opening in Russia with $1.5M, which is the biggest opening day of the year for a non-3D release. After 2 days, the box office total there is $3.2M for Cruise’s biggest opening ever in Russia. The movie is directed by TRON: Legacy director Joseph Kosinski who also produced with former News Corp #2 Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark who both oversaw Planet of the Apes. and Middle East markets and the results are outstanding. The main reason Universal cast Cruise is because he’s still a star internationally. Oblivion opens in the U.S. and Canada and 7 more international territories next weekend.
Tom Cruise Sci-Fi ‘Oblivion’ Orbits Overseas
What's Hot on Deadline
Matt Groening Netflix Animated Comedy A Go With 20-Episode Order, Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon & Eric Andre Lead Voice Cast
'The Expendables 4' Muscles Up: Sylvester Stallone Action Pic & 'Rambo 5' Sell To China In Eight-Figure Co-Fi Deal
Billboard Music Awards Ratings Hit Low, 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' Finale Rises, NBA Up With Warriors' Win
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Solo’ Could Break $139M Stateside Memorial Day Opening Record; Global Conquest Eyes $305M+
- ‘A Quiet Place’ Now Louder Than ‘Get Out’ As Paramount Rebounds At The B.O.
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Muscular On Monday For R-Rated Pic With $12M+
- Broadway Box Office Steady With Prior Week, Remains 14% Ahead Of 2016-17
- ‘Scarface’ Returning To The Big Screen For 35th Anniversary
- ‘Sweeney Todd’ Sets Date When It Will Bake Its Last Off-Broadway Meat Pie