Reviews are decidedly mixed. And domestic grosses still could portend an obit. But Tom Cruise in his new scifi pic Oblivion is in orbit overseas with a #1 opening in 48 of 52 international territories this weekend. Friday’s gross is an estimated $13.1M at 7,464 dates for an early total of $23.1M and a weekend estimate of $60.5M. That includes a record-breaking #1 opening in Russia with $1.5M, which is the biggest opening day of the year for a non-3D release. After 2 days, the box office total there is $3.2M for Cruise’s biggest opening ever in Russia. The movie is directed by TRON: Legacy director Joseph Kosinski who also produced with former News Corp #2 Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark who both oversaw Planet of the Apes. and Middle East markets and the results are outstanding. The main reason Universal cast Cruise is because he’s still a star internationally. Oblivion opens in the U.S. and Canada and 7 more international territories next weekend.
Tom Cruise Sci-Fi ‘Oblivion’ Orbits Overseas
What's Hot on Deadline
'Deadpool' Smacking Christian Grey's February Records With $47.5M+ Friday, Amazing $129M-$136M 4-day
Universal Wins 'The Grownup'; 'Gone Girl' Author Gillian Flynn Short Story Sells In High-Six-Figure Deal
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Deadpool’ Smacking Christian Grey’s February Records With $47.5M+ Friday, Amazing $129M-$136M 4-day
- Paramount Dates A Trio Of ‘Transformers’ Sequels; Collides With ‘Wonder Woman’, ‘Godzilla 2…
- Samantha Bee Vs. The Guys On Late Night, Plus: The Coming Tony Awards Wars? – Gerard & Roth
- Michael Moore Sidelined As ‘Where To Invade Next’ Opens – Specialty Preview
- ‘Deadpool’ Very Much Alive In $12M Overseas Open; $80M Intl Weekend Ahead?
- Scott Rudin & Aaron Sorkin Will Bring ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ To Broadway