Spanish actress Sara Montiel, best known in the U.S. for her roles in Vera Cruz and Run Of The Arrow has died at her home in Madrid. She was 85. Montiel made her feature film debut as a teenager after winning a beauty contest. The prize was a film role in Te quiero para mi and that sparked a 30-year movie career that included nearly 50 films. Among her best-known English-language films were 1954’s Vera Cruz, starring Gary Cooper and Burt Lancaster, and 1957’s Run Of The Arrow, released as Yuma in Spanish, a Sam Fuller movie that also featured Charles Bronson and Rod Steiger. Her 1957 film El Ultimo Cuple showcased both her acting and singing ability. After that she went on to record songs in five languages and perform concerts throughout the world. Her other film credits include La Violetera, Carmen, la de Ronda, Mi Ultimo Tango, Pecado de Amor, La Bella Lola (a 1962 version of Camille), Casablanca, Nid d’espions, Samba, La Femme Perdue, Tuset Street, Esa Mujer, and Varietes. She retired from the film industry in 1975 but continued with her music career.
R.I.P. Sara Montiel
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Team
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…
- 'High Profits': New CNN Series Profiles Colorado Pot Business Owners
- Courtney Love To Guest Star In Fox's 'Empire'
- 'Good Morning America' Ratings Lead Morning Infotainment Race
- Zachary Booth, Bill Irwin, Six More Round Out 'South Of Hell' Cast On WE TV