Spanish actress Sara Montiel, best known in the U.S. for her roles in Vera Cruz and Run Of The Arrow has died at her home in Madrid. She was 85. Montiel made her feature film debut as a teenager after winning a beauty contest. The prize was a film role in Te quiero para mi and that sparked a 30-year movie career that included nearly 50 films. Among her best-known English-language films were 1954’s Vera Cruz, starring Gary Cooper and Burt Lancaster, and 1957’s Run Of The Arrow, released as Yuma in Spanish, a Sam Fuller movie that also featured Charles Bronson and Rod Steiger. Her 1957 film El Ultimo Cuple showcased both her acting and singing ability. After that she went on to record songs in five languages and perform concerts throughout the world. Her other film credits include La Violetera, Carmen, la de Ronda, Mi Ultimo Tango, Pecado de Amor, La Bella Lola (a 1962 version of Camille), Casablanca, Nid d’espions, Samba, La Femme Perdue, Tuset Street, Esa Mujer, and Varietes. She retired from the film industry in 1975 but continued with her music career.
R.I.P. Sara Montiel
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pacific Rim Uprising' Takes No. 1 With $23M+; 'Black Panther' Best Marvel Title Ever At Domestic B.O., Beating 'Avengers'
Latest Film News
- ‘Billions’ Actor David Costabile To Play Doc McGhee In ‘The Dirt’
- Arnon Milchan & Regency Countersued For Fraud Over Warren Beatty’s ‘Rules Don’t Apply’
- ‘Scandal’s Darby Stanchfield & Daisy Prescott Cast In ‘Justine’
- Tiffany Haddish Will Give Voice To ‘Lego Movie’ Sequel Character
- ‘Hunter Killer,’ Starring Gerard Butler & Gary Oldman, Pegged For October Release
- Female Directors Scorecard: Sony’s ‘Barbie,’ ‘Charlie’s Angels’ And More