Besedka Johnson, who co-starred in Sean Baker’s Starlet in her first and only film role, died today in Los Angeles. She was 87. Johnson nabbed her first feature role as Starlet‘s Sadie at the age of 85 after being spotted by producer Shih-Ching Tsou at the YWCA in West Hollywood. “She texted me, ‘I think we found our Sadie,'” Baker told Movablefest.com. Johnson received a special jury prize at SXSW for the role and also received the Robert Altman Award for Best Ensemble Cast at the 2013 Independent Spirit Awards. “Besedka Johnson was one of the most inspirational, life-affirming and kind-hearted people I’ve ever met, said Baker in a statement. “She celebrated life on a daily basis and we are so lucky to have spent time and celebrated with her. My only wish is that she was discovered years ago and we would have decades of film and television that had captured her incredible talent. Besedka will be missed”.
R.I.P. Besedka Johnson
What's Hot on Deadline
John Oliver Offers Donald Trump His Emmy Award If Candidate Will Accept Election Results On November 8
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Jack Reacher' Cuffs $31M But 'Mechanic' Puts Wrench Into China Perf; 'Girl', 'Inferno', 'Peregrine' Advance - Intl Box Office
Latest Film News
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Cuffs $31M But ‘Mechanic’ Puts Wrench Into China Perf; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ Advance – Intl…
- ‘Ouija: Origin Of Evil’: The Newton Brothers Talk Their Horror Film Score
- 'Moonlight' & ‘Michael Moore In TrumpLand' Top 2016 Theater Averages – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Madea’ To Push Well Past $27M As ‘Jack Reacher’ Takes $22M to $23M; ‘Joneses’ Can’t Keep Up – Sun…
- Matthew McConaughey To Be Honored At Napa Valley Film Festival
- Dan Porter, WME’s Head Of Digital, To Exit Agency