Critics didn’t particularly like the 13-episode horror series that Netflix introduced Friday. But CEO Reed Hastings told analysts today that Hemlock Grove is “getting viewed by even more subscribers in its first couple of days” than House Of Cards was in February. Overall the company is “feeling very excited” about the original shows, which provide “a very nice redefinition and broadening of what Netflix is.” Even so, the political drama had “a nice impact but a gentle impact” on subscriptions. As a result, he doesn’t believe that the company will see a huge response right away next month when it offers 15 new episodes of Arrested Development. Although he considers it an “absolutely spectacular phenomenon” that’s “going to be great for us,” he adds that the company has “no history of it being a step function.” The CEO says that Netflix will have six or seven original shows this year and will “take that up next year” — though it has “no set number” of originals it wants to offer.
Netflix CEO Says ‘Hemlock Grove’ Beat ‘House Of Cards’ In Early Viewing
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest Business News
- Denzel Washington To Receive New Dramatists’ 2018 Distinguished Achievement Award
- Santa Fe IATSE Boss Jon Hendry Resigns Amid Sex Harassment Scandal
- Michael Gershman Dies: The ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’, ‘Crossing Jordan’ Cinematographer Was 73
- Veteran Cirque Du Soleil Performer Dies After Fall During Tampa Show
- Desilu Exploring U.S. Public Offering After Acquisition Of Israel’s Vonetize
- The Roots Cancel SXSW Concert After Bomb Threat; Suspect Arrested – Update