MTV has decided not to resume production on Buckwild, a network source confirmed tonight. The final decision comes just more than a week after the sudden death of castmember Shain Gandee. Despite having enough footage for several new episodes, MTV executives couldn’t see any way to continue with the series without Gandee, I’m told. An already fully produced Buckwild special that was shot before Gandee’s April 1 death could still air. TMZ first reported Tuesday on the network’s decision to cancel the reality series. MTV halted filming on Buckwild’s second season last Monday after 21-year-old Gandee and two others were found dead in a car near Sissonville, WVa. Gandee was one of the nine cast members on the hit series, referred to as “the Jersey Shore Of Appalachia”. Buckwild debuted on January 3, 2012 to 2.49 million viewers and a 1.4 rating over its back-to-back episodes. That was better than 1 million viewers more than the 1.375 million who watched the premiere of Jersey Shore in 2009. MTV renewed Buckwild for a second season on February 6.
MTV Cancels ‘Buckwild'; Production Shuttered On Season 2 Following Cast Member’s Death
Trending Now on Deadline
Int'l Box Office Update: 'Guardians' Now 3rd Biggest Marvel Movie Ever; 'Dracula Untold', 'Gone Girl', 'Annabelle' Hold Well; Local Action In France, Mexico; More
Alamo Drafthouse's Tim League: Make A Place For Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino, And Film Stock In Digital Future
Parents & Frequent Moviegoers Are Desensitized To Violence, Sex In Film; Likely So Is MPAA Ratings Board: Study
Ryan Murphy & His 'Glee' Co-Creators Get Fox Series Order For Comedy-Horror Anthology 'Scream Queens'
'Fury' Wins Box Office War With $23.7M; 'Book Of Life' At $17M; 'Gone Girl' $100M+; 'Best Of Me' $10M - B.O. Final
More From Patten
- 'The Walking Dead' Ratings Solid In Week 2 Against Peyton Manning & 'SNF' Rebound
- 'Femme Fatales' Actress Loses Legal Move Against Cinemax Late Night Series Producer
- 'Sunday Night Football' Ratings Rise, 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' Up Again, ABC's Night Steady
- 'Sunday Night Football' Ratings Soar Behind Peyton Manning's Record-Breaking TD Pass
- 'Amazing Race' Ratings Surge, 'America's Next Top Model' Falls, 'Cristela' Steady In Week 2 As ABC Wins Night In Demo Again
- 'Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways' Review: Dominic Patten Laments HBO & Dave Grohl's Bad Note