Four days after Sony slotted the Cameron Diaz-Jason Segel comedy Sex Tape for July 2, 2014, Warner Bros has lit the fuse on a potentially explosive faceoff with Melissa McCarthy. The Identity Thief star’s latest road-trip raunchfest Tammy will hit theaters that same Independence Day weekend, setting up an intriguing showdown. McCarthy stars in the New Line pic as a woman who loses her job and discovers her husband is cheating, then hits the highway for a bout of self-discovery along with her grandmother, a cussin’, diabetic boozehound. Mark Duplass last month landed a key role in the flick, which was written by McCarthy and hubby Ben Falcone; the latter stepped in as director for TV veteran Beth McCarthy-Miller, who was to make her feature helming debut. Tammy also stars Kathy Bates, Susan Sarandon, Allison Janney and Dan Aykroyd.
Melissa McCarthy’s ‘Tammy’ Spending Fourth of July At Megaplex Next Year
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Morgan Freeman “Devastated” Over Allegations, Says “I Did Not Assault Women” In New Statement
- Conan O’Brien Casts Roger Ailes Movie: Who Will Gary Sinise Or Mick Jagger Play?
- ‘Sesame Street’ Bosses Grouchy With STX Over Melissa McCarthy Flick ‘Happytime Murders’
- ‘American Exit’ Picked Up For Distribution By Lionsgate, Grindstone Entertainment
- Haley Bennett-Starring ‘Swallow’ Rounds Out Cast
- Netflix And Telefónica Confirm Their Partnership On Twitter