Longtime Today anchor Matt Lauer might be on the hot seat, but it appears his colleagues have his back. Kathie Lee Gifford, who co-anchors the fourth hour of NBC’s venerable morning show, has written a letter supporting Lauer and got hundreds of Today staffers — including some who’ve worked with the host for two decades — to sign it. Her original plan, according to the New York Daily News, was to run the letter as an ad in USA Today, but Lauer nixed the idea, preferring to keep the document in-house. Gifford, who co-hosted ABC’s morning talker Live! With Regis And Kathie Lee for 15 years, wrote: “We the people of the ‘Today’ show who work side by side, day by day, year in and year out with Matt Lauer are tired of unfounded and unrelenting stories by faceless characters regarding his character and reputation. No one has coerced us to sign this. With our signatures we stand in support of our colleague and friend.” No word on whether decision-makers at the Peacock share the staffers’ sentiments.
Kathie Lee Gifford Letter Backing Matt Lauer Stays In ‘Today’ Family
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Jon Lindstrom Joins 'True Detective'; Dan Buran Boards TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot
- 'Unfinished Business' Redband Trailer: Vince Vaughn And Company Invade Europe
- 'Late Late Show' Guest Hosts Include Drew Carey & Judd Apatow Ahead Of Corden Debut
- Richard Linklater To Receive Palm Springs Visionary Award For 'Boyhood'
- MPTF's Night Before Oscar Fundraiser Setting Up Shop On Fox Lot
- Matt Barr Joins TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot; Katie Sarife In 'The Michelle Knight Story'