After quietly leaving UTA last week, Idris Elba is the hot actor in play, and it’s suspected he’ll either land at WME or CAA. Elba seems poised to finally make that transition from great actor to movie star, so he’s a real catch. But the gang at UTA certainly did their job; the agency booked him into Prometheus, Thor, Pacific Rim and Mandela: The Long Walk To Freedom, the latter a film the agency packaged around director client Justin Chadwick. By the time he’s done starring in Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim this summer and following up by playing Nelson Mandela in the Oscar–bait Weinstein Company release later this year, Elba should finally reach that level of stardom that has inexplicably eluded him. I must say that after watching his turns in The Wire and especially Neil Cross’s British crime series Luther, I find it baffling it has taken this long; how many actors out there are as good as this guy? Elba has also established himself as a serial agency jumper in the U.S. He moved from ICM to CAA, back to ICM, and then chose UTA over WME and CAA two years ago. He remains managed by Anonymous Content and agented by Ken McReddie Associates in the UK.
‘Luther’ And ‘Pacific Rim’ Star Idris Elba Is In Play At The Big Agencies
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Douglas Smith Joins Jessica Chastain’s Team In ‘Miss Sloane’
- Dev Patel & Armie Hammer In Negotiations For Mumbai Siege Pic ‘Hotel Mumbai’ – Berlin
- ‘Batman V Superman’ Final Trailer: Batman (Featuring Superman)?
- George Clooney, Coens Grilled On Political Issues At Heated ‘Hail, Caesar!’ Panel – Berlin
- Berlin: Intense Competition For Top-Tier Titles Leaves Indie Buyers Facing Uncertain Future
- ‘Criminal’ Trailer: Kevin Costner Is The Right Man In The Wrong Body