The British comedy written and directed by Borat and Bruno scribe Dan Mazer already has premiered in the UK, France and Germany via Studiocanal and had its North American premiere last month at SXSW. Rose Byrne, Anna Farris, Simon Baker, Rafe Spall, Minnie Driver and Stephen Merchant star in the ensemble, which Magnolia Pictures has acquired U.S. rights to and plans a theatrical and VOD release in its Ultra VOD program this year. Both a romantic comedy and a send-up of the genre, I Give It A Year picks up where other rom-coms end — after the glamour of a fairy tale romance and wedding has worn off and the realities of marriage start to sink in. “Dan Mazer is a terrific writer who has managed to both skewer and celebrate the romantic comedy genre and also deliver a gut-bustingly funny picture,” said Magnolia President Eamonn Bowles. The deal was negotiated by Magnolia Director of Acquisitions Peter Van Steemburg and StudioCanal SVP International Sales Vanessa Saal.
Magnolia Pictures Acquires SXSW Comedy ‘I Give It A Year’
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Wastes No Time Responding To Donald & Hillary; Megyn Kelly & Rosie O'Donnell Get The Last Word, For Now
Latest Film News
- ‘Before The Flood’ Trailer: Leonardo DiCaprio’s Documentary On Climate Change
- ‘Milton’s Secret’ Sneak Peek: First Film Based On An Eckhart Tolle Book Challenges The Young Mind
- Anaïs Nin Short Stories Optioned To Hook Up With Film & TV
- David Rubin Set To Produce 2016 Governors Awards
- Viola Davis Joins Steve McQueen’s ‘Widows’
- Bart & Fleming: How Will Wanda & Other Chinese Backers Change Movie Content?