The British comedy written and directed by Borat and Bruno scribe Dan Mazer already has premiered in the UK, France and Germany via Studiocanal and had its North American premiere last month at SXSW. Rose Byrne, Anna Farris, Simon Baker, Rafe Spall, Minnie Driver and Stephen Merchant star in the ensemble, which Magnolia Pictures has acquired U.S. rights to and plans a theatrical and VOD release in its Ultra VOD program this year. Both a romantic comedy and a send-up of the genre, I Give It A Year picks up where other rom-coms end — after the glamour of a fairy tale romance and wedding has worn off and the realities of marriage start to sink in. “Dan Mazer is a terrific writer who has managed to both skewer and celebrate the romantic comedy genre and also deliver a gut-bustingly funny picture,” said Magnolia President Eamonn Bowles. The deal was negotiated by Magnolia Director of Acquisitions Peter Van Steemburg and StudioCanal SVP International Sales Vanessa Saal.
Magnolia Pictures Acquires SXSW Comedy ‘I Give It A Year’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Jessie Ennis Joins 'Veep'; Gladys Knight In 'Empire'
- Mark Gordon To Receive Producers Guild's Norman Lear Award
- James Caan, Kevin Dillon, Sam Huntington Top Crackle Feature 'The Throwaways'
- NBC News To Air First Live Broadcast Of Global Citizen Festival Featuring Jay-Z, Carrie Underwood, The Roots
- USA's 'Benched' Gets Premiere Date: Video
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Charles Dance Hints That Tywin Lannister Might Be Alive