The British comedy written and directed by Borat and Bruno scribe Dan Mazer already has premiered in the UK, France and Germany via Studiocanal and had its North American premiere last month at SXSW. Rose Byrne, Anna Farris, Simon Baker, Rafe Spall, Minnie Driver and Stephen Merchant star in the ensemble, which Magnolia Pictures has acquired U.S. rights to and plans a theatrical and VOD release in its Ultra VOD program this year. Both a romantic comedy and a send-up of the genre, I Give It A Year picks up where other rom-coms end — after the glamour of a fairy tale romance and wedding has worn off and the realities of marriage start to sink in. “Dan Mazer is a terrific writer who has managed to both skewer and celebrate the romantic comedy genre and also deliver a gut-bustingly funny picture,” said Magnolia President Eamonn Bowles. The deal was negotiated by Magnolia Director of Acquisitions Peter Van Steemburg and StudioCanal SVP International Sales Vanessa Saal.
Magnolia Pictures Acquires SXSW Comedy ‘I Give It A Year’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Alice' Sees $62.7M In Offshore Looking Glass; 'Warcraft' Scores $31.7M; 'X-Men' Cumes $183.4M - Int'l Box Office Final
Moviegoers Turn Out For The 'Apocalypse' Over Memorial Day & Chop Off 'Alice's Head - Monday AM Update
Latest Film News
- Universal Changes Release Date On ‘Pitch Perfect 3’ Again
- Weinstein Company Blasts Open Road & ‘Little Prince’ Producers Over $35M ‘Playmobil…
- ‘Rogue One’: Re-Shoots But No Test Screening; Release Date Not Impacted
- Viacom Watchers Wonder: Who’d Step In If Sumner Redstone Cleans House?
- Cate Blanchett’s Broadway Debut With Chekhovian ‘The Present’ Sets House & Cast
- WGA West Pencils In $4 Million Surplus For Fiscal 2016