HBO has acquired all U.S. broadcast and home video rights to Moms Mabley: I Got Somethin’ To Tell You. The feature-length documentary from director Whoopi Goldberg will premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on Saturday and will debut exclusively on HBO later this year. The film explores the iconic stand-up comedienne’s legacy through recently unearthed photography, rediscovered performance footage and the words of comedians, entertainers and historians, including Eddie Murphy, Joan Rivers, Sidney Poitier, Kathy Griffin, Harry Belafonte, Bill Cosby, Quincy Jones, Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara. Mabley tackled topics such as gender, sex and racism, making her one of the first triple X-rated comedians on the comedy circuit. Once billed as “The Funniest Woman in the World”, she performed on stage and in television and film up until her death in 1975. Goldberg also exec produces along with Tom Leonardis and George Schlatter.
HBO Acquires U.S. TV Rights To Whoopi Goldberg’s ‘Moms Mabley’ Documentary
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Team
- Alcon Taps Catherine & Angela Paura To Run Global Marketing
- HBO Year-Ender Teases 'Game Of Thrones', 'Veep', More — Video
- Did U.S. Strike Back For Sony Hack? Massive North Korea Internet Outages Reported
- Jeff Zucker: CNN Had Terrific Year, Though “Not Without Its Challenges”
- Alexandre Desplat On 'The Imitation Game': “I Was Moved By What Was Onscreen'