With filming now underway on Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the studio today unveiled final cast and plot details for the sequel slated for an April 4, 2014 release. Those include confirmation of Deadline’s scoop that Robert Redford has joined the film as Agent Alexander Pierce, a senior leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. The pic is also bumping up Scarlett Johansson‘s role as her Avengers character Natasha Romanoff teams with Captain America (Chris Evans) in the present day “to battle a powerful yet shadowy enemy in present-day Washington, DC”. Anthony and Joe Russo are directing from Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely’s script and have filled out their supporting cast with returning Marvel actors and new faces: Sebastian Stan is back as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier, last seen in Captain America: The First Avenger‘s 1943 timeline, along with Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter and Toby Jones as Arnim Zola. Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), Cobie Smulders (Agent Maria Hill), and Maximiliano Hernandez (Agent Jasper Sitwell) return, joined by Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon, Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow, and UFC champ Georges St-Pierre as Georges Batroc. Emily VanCamp is aboard as Steve Rogers’ new love interest, Agent 13. Filming is underway in LA and will move to Cleveland and Washington DC.
Marvel’s ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ Sequel Sets Final Cast
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Team
- Brad Pitt's Plan B To Receive PGA's 2015 Visionary Award
- 'The Omen' & 'The Krays' Billie Whitelaw Dead At 82
- UK Magician Troy Von Scheibner To Star In New Unscripted Series On Syfy
- Candy Crowley Saluted By Colleagues, Competition, Late-Night Hosts And Robot - Video
- 'Kim Jong-un' Targets Christmas Shoppers On SNL's 'Weekend Update'
- Dr. Evil Disses Sony, Kim Jong-un, Many Others In Mike Myers' Surprise 'SNL' Return