Waltz With Bashir helmer Ari Folman‘s The Congress will raise the curtain on the 45th Directors’ Fortnight sidebar at the Cannes Film Festival on May 16. The pic – a mix of live action and animation — is the adaptation of sci-fi novel The Futurological Congress by Polish writer Stanislaw Lem. Robin Wright, Harvey Keitel, Paul Giamatti, Kodi Smit-McPhee and Danny Huston star. Wright plays an actress (also called Robin Wright) who accepts a large payout from a major Hollywood studio, Miramount, to be scanned and digitized to create a virtual actress. The deal stipulates she will no longer control her likeness and the studio can use it any way it pleases, essentially kiboshing her career. For 20 years she disappears to return to a transformed world as guest of honor at the Miramount-Nagasaki Convention, where a new invention is to be revealed. Producers are Bridgit Folman, Film Gang, Pandora Film, Opus Film, Paul Thiltges Distribution, ARP and Entre Chien et Loup. Match Factory has international sales. The full Directors’ Fortnight lineup will be unveiled Tuesday.
Cannes: Directors’ Fortnight To Open With Ari Folman’s ‘The Congress’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Tom Cruise, 'Edge Of Tomorrow' Score Japan Cool Prizes; Bloomsbury Set Circled For 'Life In Squares'
- Hot Trailer: Marion Cotillard Has 'Two Days, One Night'
- Will Disney Take 'Pirates 5′ Down Under Using '20,000 Leagues' Tax Incentive?
- Intl Box Office Final: 'Turtles' Overpower 'Expendables 3′ In Russia; 'Dragon 2′ Takes Flight In China With $25.9M
- BBC One Renews Hit Crime Drama 'Happy Valley'
- UPDATE: UK Jewish Film Fest, London's Tricycle Cinema Reach Entente