In what would amount to its latest bold move in the European cable sector, John Malone’s Liberty Global is reportedly considering a takeover bid for Germany’s Kabel Deutschland. Liberty this week was granted approval by the European Commission to proceed with its $23.3B acquisition of the UK’s Virgin Media and last month it bought a minority stake in Dutch cable operator Ziggo. Liberty is already present in Germany where it controls the country’s second-largest cable company, Unitymedia. Citing sources familiar with the situation, Bloomberg reports that Liberty has not made a decision on Kabel Deutschland and is aware of potential antitrust issues. Kabel Deutschland is also a takeover target for Vodafone Group, Bloomberg sources said. Kabel stock was up to 73.32 euros in Frankfurt trading this afternoon, valuing it at $8.5B. An acquisition by Liberty would add 8.5M subscribers to its existing 7M and create a rival to Deutsche Telekom and Vodafone, Bloomberg noted.
Bloomberg: Liberty Global Mulling Takeover Bid For Germany’s Largest Cable Operator
What's Hot on Deadline
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
'Coco' Now Higher With $74M+ Thanks To A+ CinemaScore; 'Justice League' At $61M+; 'Wonder' Wows At $32M+: Friday AM Update
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why 'Roman J. Israel, Esq' Never Left The '60s Behind - The Contenders Video
'Man Who Invented Christmas' Review: Dan Stevens & Christopher Plummer Turn Scrooge Origin Tale Into A Holiday Treat
Latest TV News
- Peter Baldwin Dies: ‘Mary Tyler Moore’, ‘Wonder Years’ Director Was 86
- Apple Investment In Original Video Will Reach $4.2 Billion By 2022: Report
- ‘Thursday Night Football’ Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy’s Parade Steady, ‘Young…
- Al Franken: “Committed To Regaining Trust”; More Comment Expected Sunday
- Matt Berry Reveals British Comedy ‘Toast Of London’ Is To Return
- CBS and Dish Reach Carriage Agreement