Sofia Coppola‘s The Bling Ring has been tapped to open the Un Certain Regard section of this year’s Cannes Film Festival on May 16. The pic had been thought to be a potential competition entry; Un Certain Regard is part of the festival lineup but its films are not eligible for the Palme d’Or race. Danish director Thomas Vinterberg has been named the sidebar’s jury president. Bling Ring stars Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Taissa Farmiga, Gavin Rossdale and Paris Hilton in the story about a group of young burglars who broke into the homes of celebrities including Rachel Bilson, Orlando Bloom and Hilton in 2008-2009. It’s based on the Vanity Fair article “The Suspects Wore Louboutins”, by Nancy Jo Sales. A24 picked up U.S. rights and will release it in the U.S. on June 14. It will be released in France on June 5, a couple weeks after Cannes concludes. The full lineup is being announced tomorrow morning in Paris.
‘Bling Ring’ Will Open Cannes’ Un Certain Regard Sidebar
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘Cinderella’ Counts $337.3M At Global Ball; ‘Insurgent’ Secures $178.2M Worldwide – Int’l…
- Want Full California Tax Credit? Bill Says Keep The Music Scoring Local
- Paramount Whistleblower: Emails Reveal Studio Officials Tried To "Freak Her Out"
- ‘Woman In Gold’ Review: Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds A Great Pair In Remarkable Story
- Sony Taps Nielsen NRG Exec For Film Research Role
- Colin Trevorrow’s Next Page? Helming ‘Book Of Henry’ For SKE