Sofia Coppola‘s The Bling Ring has been tapped to open the Un Certain Regard section of this year’s Cannes Film Festival on May 16. The pic had been thought to be a potential competition entry; Un Certain Regard is part of the festival lineup but its films are not eligible for the Palme d’Or race. Danish director Thomas Vinterberg has been named the sidebar’s jury president. Bling Ring stars Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Taissa Farmiga, Gavin Rossdale and Paris Hilton in the story about a group of young burglars who broke into the homes of celebrities including Rachel Bilson, Orlando Bloom and Hilton in 2008-2009. It’s based on the Vanity Fair article “The Suspects Wore Louboutins”, by Nancy Jo Sales. A24 picked up U.S. rights and will release it in the U.S. on June 14. It will be released in France on June 5, a couple weeks after Cannes concludes. The full lineup is being announced tomorrow morning in Paris.
‘Bling Ring’ Will Open Cannes’ Un Certain Regard Sidebar
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- BAFTA Awards: London Teed Up For Royal Party Weekend
- ‘Zoolander 2’ Review: Ben Stiller’s Misguided Sequel Is A Fashion Disaster
- Oscars: Third Group Of Presenters Includes Cate Blanchett, Michael B. Jordan & Louis C.K.
- ‘The Simpsons’ Nancy Cartwright Launches Production Banner Spotted Cow With First Projects In Place – Berlin
- Barack Obama First-Date Movie ‘Southside With You’ Near Deal With Miramax, Roadside Attractions
- Oscars: Pete Hammond Handicaps The Best Actor Race – AwardsLine