The numbers are mixed but encouraging enough to lift Amazon shares about 1.4% in after-market trading. The e-retailer generated $82M in net income, -36.9% vs the period last year, on revenues of $16.1B, +21.9%. Analysts expected revenues to come in just a little higher at $16.2B. But diluted earnings per share at 18 cents were twice as high as the Street forecast. Media sales in North America were up 14% to $2.5B, and worldwide were +7% to $5.1B. North American electronics and other general merchandise were up 28% to $6.1B, with worldwide sales +28% to $10.2B. CEO Jeff Bezos used the earnings release to talk up Amazon’s new effort to greenlight TV shows. “The pilots are out in the open where everyone can have a say,” he says. “I have my personal picks and so do members of the Amazon Studios team, but the exciting thing about our approach is that our opinions don’t matter. Our customers will determine what goes into full-season production. We hope Amazon Originals can become yet another way for us to create value for Prime members.” The report also highlighted streaming licensing agreements with A+E Networks, CBS, FX, PBS, and Scripps Networks.
Amazon Touts Media Deals As Q1 Earnings Fall
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Bows Overseas With $26.7M, 'Ultron' Dominates With $45.8M, 'Mad Max' Adds $38.2M, 'Spy' Nabs $12.5M
Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn't - But Who's Complaining After Cinema's World Cup?
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
Latest Business News
- Netflix Rumored To Want Gerard Depardieu For French ‘House Of Cards’
- Memorial Day B.O. Runs Cold: ‘Tomorrowland’ Is No Flying Car With $40.7M Bow – Second Sunday Update
- Studiocanal & Switzerland’s Impuls Enter Output Deal – Cannes
- Point.360 To Acquire Troubled Postproduction House Modern VideoFilm
- Time Warner Cable Nears A Decision On A New Merger Deal – Reports
- Hollywood Teamsters Reach Contract Deal With Basic Crafts Unions