EXCLUSIVE: The Tom Cruise sci-fi tentpole will now open in IMAX and in wide release on April 19. Universal had originally planned to sneak Oblivion in IMAX on April 12 but opted to push the pic a week to maximize its opening in a frame in which Open Roads’ jOBS is the only competition in wide release. Star Cruise will also have more time to promote the film overseas as it opens internationally in several territories on April 12. The move also give Universal’s April 5 opener Jurassic Park 3D an extra week on IMAX screens. The studio recently tweaked its summer slate when it shifted dates for 2 Guns and Kick-Ass 2 and announced that the Jeff Bridges-Ryan Reynolds starrer R.I.P.D. will be released in 3D.
Universal Shifts ‘Oblivion’ IMAX Date
What's Hot on Deadline
'Madea' To Push Well Past $27M As 'Jack Reacher' Takes $22M to $23M; 'Joneses' Can't Keep Up - Sun. AM Update
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest Film News
- ‘Ouija: Origin Of Evil’: The Newton Brothers Talk Their Horror Film Score
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Gets Going With $31M; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ At Milestones – Intl…
- 'Moonlight' & ‘Michael Moore In TrumpLand' Top 2016 Theater Averages – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Madea’ To Push Well Past $27M As ‘Jack Reacher’ Takes $22M to $23M; ‘Joneses’ Can’t Keep Up – Sun…
- Matthew McConaughey To Be Honored At Napa Valley Film Festival
- Dan Porter, WME’s Head Of Digital, To Exit Agency