EXCLUSIVE: The Tom Cruise sci-fi tentpole will now open in IMAX and in wide release on April 19. Universal had originally planned to sneak Oblivion in IMAX on April 12 but opted to push the pic a week to maximize its opening in a frame in which Open Roads’ jOBS is the only competition in wide release. Star Cruise will also have more time to promote the film overseas as it opens internationally in several territories on April 12. The move also give Universal’s April 5 opener Jurassic Park 3D an extra week on IMAX screens. The studio recently tweaked its summer slate when it shifted dates for 2 Guns and Kick-Ass 2 and announced that the Jeff Bridges-Ryan Reynolds starrer R.I.P.D. will be released in 3D.
Universal Shifts ‘Oblivion’ IMAX Date
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Yamato
- Glenn Beck's Hot Reads: Google, Futurism, And More Fuel For A Media Empire
- Sony Chief “Disappointed” By Obama Rebuke, Hollywood's Cowed Silence
- Fox International Ups Kieran Breen To Marketing President Post
- Sony Hack: BitTorrent Offers To Distribute 'The Interview' On Its Bundle Service
- Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: “We Had No Choice,” Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
- DGA Stands By 'The Interview' Directors, Calls On Feds To Protect Hollywood