To date, the blockbuster has earned $301.4 million domestically. Now, with its recent release in China where it has grossed $37.3M in 10 days, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has earned an estimated $700 million internationally. That’s a global total of $1 billion to date. Peter Jackson’s pic becomes only the 15th film in history to exceed one billion dollars worldwide. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the first in a trilogy based on JRR Tolkien’s epic and is a production of New Line Cinema and MGM Pictures. Warner Bros Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television distribution being handled by MGM.
‘The Hobbit’ Passes $1 Billion Worldwide
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Box Office News
- New ‘When Marnie Was There,’ Holdover ‘Dreams’ Solid – Specialty B.O.
- No Heat At Memorial Day B.O.: ‘Tomorrowland’s Rocket Runs Outta Gas With $41.7M Bow – Monday Update
- ‘Tomorrowland’ Bows Overseas With $27.5M, ‘Ultron’ Dominates With $46.4M, ‘Mad Max’ Adds $38.2M, ‘Spy’ Nabs…
- ‘Jurassic World’ Tracking Like ‘Man Of Steel’ – But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer…
- Swoosie Kurtz On ‘Mike & Molly,’ Mom And Her First Tony Award Nomination
- ‘Tomorrowland’ Limited Release While ‘Poltergeist’ Grabs Strong $1.4M – Box Office Thursday