It was a screenplay first written by Stanley Kubrick back in 1961 and now Steven Spielberg says he’s working with the late filmmaker’s estate on the project. “I’ve been developing Stanley Kubrick’s screenplay, for a miniseries not for a motion picture, about the life of Napoleon,” Spielberg recently told the French TV network Canal+. Kubrick left behind extensive research archives – location photos, notes and boxes of other details which provided a book on the subject. But studios balked at the expensive project. (Kubrick eventually made Barry Lyndon which takes place 15 years before the Napoleonic wars.) Spielberg’s 2001 A.I. began as a Kubrick project. The Napoleon news comes after Spielberg delayed Robopocalypse. Recently named jury president for the Cannes Film Festival in May, he’s producing Jurassic Park IV in 3D for June 2014, and developing another HBO series with Tom Hanks. Still pending is whether he’ll take on the Moses epic Gods And Kings for Warner Bros.
Steven Spielberg Developing Stanley Kubrick’s ‘Napoleon’ As TV Miniseries
What's Hot on Deadline
No Obama Bounce For DNC Day 3 Ratings As They Fall Behind RNC, 'Wayward Pines' Finale Down From 2015
'Jason Bourne' On Way To $55M To $60M; 'Bad Moms' Reaching For $30M; 'Nerve' Could Find $15M - Friday Matinees
Bill Maher On Hillary Clinton Nomination: "First, Lady Ghostbusters And Now This; America's On A Roll!"
Latest Film News
- ‘Jason Bourne’ On Way To $55M To $60M; ‘Bad Moms’ Reaching For $30M; ‘Nerve’ Could Find $15M…
- ‘Astronaut Academy’ Rights Acquired With Aim To Blast Off In Film & TV
- James Schamus Debuts 'Indignation'; Oscar-Winner Barbara Kopple Charts 'Miss Sharon Jones!' – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘Jason Bourne’ Review: Matt Damon Is Back On The Run – And That’s A Very Good Thing
- Rosamund Pike, Daniel Bruhl & Vincent Cassel In Talks To Board Jose Padilha’s ‘Entebbe’
- Steven Spielberg’s ‘Ready Player One’ Casts Young Newcomer Philip Zhou