For his follow-up to House, David Shore is bringing to US broadcast television another popular British comedy actor-comedian-writer to play the lead of a drama project. Steve Coogan (Tropic Thunder) is set to topline Shore’s ABC legal drama pilot Doubt. The project, from Sony TV, centers on Vincent (Coogan), a former cop who’s now a cunning but charming low-rent lawyer who uses his street smarts to work the system for his clients while battling his own demons and wooing his ex-wife. Doubt would mark the US series debut for Coogan, a popular TV actor in his native Britain, the way fellow UK comedy star Hugh Laurie was introduced to American television as the lead of Shore’s Fox drama House. This is Coogan’s second US pilot; in 2010, he teamed with Tropic Thunder cohorts Justin Theroux and Ben Stiller for HBO comedy pilot Documental. I hear Coogan, repped by 3 Arts, UK’s Independent and Rick Genow, had no interest in doing US broadcast TV but responded to Shore’s script.
Steve Coogan To Play The Lead In David Shore’s ABC Drama Pilot ‘Doubt’
What's Hot on Deadline
Oscars: Best Picture Envelope Disaster Can't Take Away Triumph Of Best Academy Awards Show In Many A Moon(light)
Emma Stone On 'La La Land' & 'Moonlight' Best Picture Snafu: "I Was Holding The Best Actress Card The Entire Time"
Latest TV News
- Stephen Colbert Apes NYT Ad To Promote ‘Late Show’ Live Broadcast After Donald Trump Speech
- Derek Hough Cast In NBC’s Kourtney Kang Comedy Pilot
- Donald Trump Takes Credit For Oscars Best Picture Snafu
- Bill Paxton ‘Training Day’ Dedication Planned For New Episode
- JJ Totah Cast In Mindy Kaling’s NBC Comedy Pilot; Josh Kidd Joins CW’s ‘Searchers’
- Kelen Coleman Cast In CBS Comedy Pilot ‘Me, Myself & I’; Roberto Aguire Joins CBS’ Paul Attanasio Drama