EXCLUSIVE: Sam Raimi, one of the hottest feature directors at the moment coming off helming blockbuster Oz The Great And Powerful, has signed on to direct Fox hourlong pilot Rake starring Greg Kinnear. This is a major coup for the network and Rake producer Sony Pictures TV, which started talks with the director weeks before Oz opened to a gigantic $80 million at the domestic box office, with its worldwide tally nearing $300 million after 10 days. Rake, which is slated to go into production in a few days, marks Raimi’s first pilot directing gig. In addition to directing, Raimi will serve as an executive producer on the pilot alongside original series creator Peter Duncan, Peter Tolan, Michael Wimer, Richard Roxburgh and Ian Collie. Kinnear is co-executive producing. Based on the Australian comedic drama, Rake follows the chaotic and comedic life of criminal defense lawyer Keegan Joye (Kinnear), brilliant, frustratingly charming, and with zero filter. Rake extends Raimi’s relationship with Sony, where he spearheaded the Spider-Man franchise on the feature side, directing the 2002 blockbuster and its two sequels. In TV, Raimi executive produces Starz’s flagship drama Spartacus. He is with CAA.
Sam Raimi To Direct Fox Pilot ‘Rake’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fantastic Beasts' Bests $600M WW; 'Moana' Mints $177M; 'Doctor Strange' Ices 'Deadpool', 'Iron Man 2' - Intl Box Office
Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls 'SNL'-Watching Prez-Elect "Terrifying Lunatic"
Latest TV News
- ‘Westworld’ Explosive Finale Recap “The Bicameral Mind”: New Gods Will Walk
- ‘Designated Survivor’ Taps New Showrunner As Jon Harmon Feldman Exits
- CBS Will Continue To Broadcast Kennedy Center Honors Through 2025
- Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls ‘SNL’-Watching Prez-Elect “Terrifying Lunatic”…
- Netflix’s ‘Marvel’s Luke Cage’ Gets Season 2, No Return Date Set
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Slip With Host Emma Stone, Still Up Vs. 2015