EXCLUSIVE: Sam Raimi, one of the hottest feature directors at the moment coming off helming blockbuster Oz The Great And Powerful, has signed on to direct Fox hourlong pilot Rake starring Greg Kinnear. This is a major coup for the network and Rake producer Sony Pictures TV, which started talks with the director weeks before Oz opened to a gigantic $80 million at the domestic box office, with its worldwide tally nearing $300 million after 10 days. Rake, which is slated to go into production in a few days, marks Raimi’s first pilot directing gig. In addition to directing, Raimi will serve as an executive producer on the pilot alongside original series creator Peter Duncan, Peter Tolan, Michael Wimer, Richard Roxburgh and Ian Collie. Kinnear is co-executive producing. Based on the Australian comedic drama, Rake follows the chaotic and comedic life of criminal defense lawyer Keegan Joye (Kinnear), brilliant, frustratingly charming, and with zero filter. Rake extends Raimi’s relationship with Sony, where he spearheaded the Spider-Man franchise on the feature side, directing the 2002 blockbuster and its two sequels. In TV, Raimi executive produces Starz’s flagship drama Spartacus. He is with CAA.
Sam Raimi To Direct Fox Pilot ‘Rake’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'