With Fox News Channel still topping the cable news universe, Rupert Murdoch is feeling magnanimous about the competition. In an interview with WSJ Live, the News Corp chief said he thinks new CNN Worldwide President Jeff Zucker might be able to make the network competitive again. “You are seeing big changes going on at CNN now, they have a new head of it, they are popularizing it, if you like. Instead of having the Ted Turner saying ‘this is the New York Times of the air,” Murdoch offered, “they are using helicopters, running around being much more pop, if you will. I won’t say that they are politically different than what they have always been, but just the way they’re presenting it, they have sharpened up in the last couple of months.” Named to his new postion on November 29, Zucker took officially took over at CNN on January 21. As well as hiring new several new on-air correspondents since then, the network was widely mocked for its expansive February 14 coverage of the Carnival Triumph’s tug to port. That coverage did bring CNN a big one day ratings boost. Despite Murdoch’s seeming encouragement of CNN’s new direction, Fox News still gets ratings that best the combined totals of CNN and MSNBC.
Rupert Murdoch Bullish On Jeff Zucker As CNN Chief
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Final Update
China Makes Space For ‘The Martian’ As ‘Good Dinosaur’ Snatches Eggs From No. 1 ‘Mockingjay 2’ – Intl B.O. Update
’The Danish Girl’ Bows With Style; 'Janis: Little Girl Blue' Solid In Debut; 'Carol’ Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty B.O.
Latest TV News
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Midseason Finale Continues Blockbuster’s Fatal Year-End Tradition
- ‘Joy’s New TV Trailer: Fox Posts Spot Amid Initial Industry Screenings
- Al Markim, Who Played Astro In Pioneering ‘Tom Corbett, Space Cadet,’ Dies At 88
- ‘MasterChef Jr.’ Ratings Down, ‘Amazing Race’ Even, ‘Santa Claus’ Matches 2014
- ‘NFL On CBS’ Snags Strong Thanksgiving Day Ratings
- Marvel’s ‘Agent Carter’ Season 2 Teaser: Hayley Atwell Kicks Butt In Hollywood