Derek, Ricky Gervais’ comedy series about a naively simple middle-aged man who works in a nursing home, has been renewed by Britain’s Channel 4. The show’s first season finishes its run on March 6 with the early episodes drawing an average 2.1M viewers for a 9.9% share. Six new half hours have been ordered. In September, it was announced that Netflix had acquired the show for the U.S. where it will be made available later this year. Gervais calls the show “probably my favorite thing of everything I’ve done.” In Britain last year, there were concerns that the series mocked disabled people, but Gervais denied he was poking fun and noted, “The real risk with this is the people who don’t watch it and make assumptions. The idea that (Derek) is cruel follows you around. But some people don’t get it and some people don’t like it. Hopefully, there will be enough people who find it.” Last week, Gervais said he was bringing back his original Office character, David Brent, in a new mini-episode for the UK’s Red Nose Day telethon on March 15.
Ricky Gervais’ ‘Derek’ Gets Second Season Order From UK’s Channel 4
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest International News
- ‘Tomb Raider’ Tops $100M Offshore, Digs Up $41M In China – International Box Office
- ‘The Shape Of Water’ Has Fairy Tale $10M+ China Opening; Crosses $100M Overseas
- Paramount’s ‘Dora The Explorer’ Movie Set For Australia Shoot After Tax Break Concession
- California Pol To Wolf Blitzer: Donald Trump “Spinning Out Of Control”, Serious Security Threat, Has To Go
- Saudi Arabia Fund Deal For Endeavor Stake Could Close In Week’s Time For $400M
- British Presenter Billie JD Porter Slams Vice Media’s Response To Sexual Harassment Claims