Veteran producer Robert Relyea, whose career spanned more than 40 years, died Tuesday at age 82. Born in Santa Monica, CA, Relyea started as an entry level crew member with MGM in 1955, eventually moving on to become President of Production for MGM/UA in 1997. He served as second unit or assistant director on films including Jailhouse Rock, Oklahoma!, The High Cost Of Living and The Alamo, but it was through his long association with actor Steve McQueen that he made his biggest mark on Hollywood history. Relyea served as Assistant Director on Never So Few and The Magnificent Seven, and as Associate Producer for The Great Escape. In 1966 Relyea joined McQueen’s Solar Productions as an executive producer, going on to produce McQueen’s classic Bullitt, as well as The Reivers, Le Mans and Adam At Six A.M. After leaving Solar, Relyea became an independent producer, with credits including Arnold Schwarzenegger’s The Last Action Hero. He also served in executive positions at Lorimar and Paramount, and as head of the California Film Commission under former Governor Pete Wilson.
R.I.P. Robert Relyea
What's Hot on Deadline
Hallmark Channel Upfront Presentation Canceled Due To Storm; Net Makes Announcements, Including ‘When Calls the Heart’ Renewal, At Central Park Event
Ryan Murphy On '9-1-1's Ratings Success, Season 2 Details, Connie Britton's Future On the Show & Potential Spinoff Series
'The Assassination Of Gianni Versace' Season Finale: What Does Designer's Murder Mean 20 Years Later?
Latest Film News
- John McEnroe Documentary Being Served Up For August Release Via Oscilloscope
- Netflix Sets May Start For Wash Westmoreland’s ‘The Earthquake Bird;’ Alicia Vikander, Riley Keough To Star
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Trailer Arrives: It’s An X-Force To Be Reckoned With
- ‘Monty Python’ Heads To Netflix As SVOD Service Picks Up Entire Comedy Catalog
- BFI Reports Reveal How UK Films Fared At 2017 Global Box Office & On Awards Circuit
- ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Deleted Scene Features Tom Hardy, Prince Harry & Prince William As Storm Troopers