Richard Griffiths, who appeared in five Harry Potter movies, has died following complications from heart surgery. He was 65. The veteran British actor won an Olivier Award for originating the role of Hector in Alan Bennet’s stage play The History Boys in 2004. He subsequently won a Tony for the same role in the Broadway transfer and also starred in the 2006 film. He started his career in the theater, joining the Royal Shakespeare Company after studying drama in Manchester. He later appeared in such films as The French Lieutenant’s Woman, Gorky Park, Chariots Of Fire, Gandhi, Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Martin Scorsese’s Hugo. Apart from The History Boys, he was perhaps best known for playing two uncles: Harry Potter‘s muggle Uncle Vernon Dursley and the predatory Uncle Monty in the cult British classic Withnail & I. Griffiths also had myriad TV roles including foodie detective Henry Crabbe in 1990s BBC series Pie In The Sky. Last year, he starred with Danny Devito in Neil Simon’s The Sunshine Boys at London’s Savoy Theatre.
R.I.P. Richard Griffiths
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Latest International News
- Harvey Weinstein Drew Up 91-Name List For Investigators To Target: Report
- ‘Justice League’ Rises To $70.7M Through Friday At International Box Office
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger Antitrust Review Casting Pall Over Fox Talks
- Warner Bros Launches China Exchange Program With Casting, Management Focus
- ‘White Sun’ EP Danny Glover On The Hope Children Bring For The Future Of The Political Process
- Streaming Service BritBox Launches Xmas Specials and Simulcasts UK Shows