EXCLUSIVE: The decision was made mutually by NBC and the project’s creator, Liz Brixius, and producers, Wolf Films and Universal TV. It comes 10 days after Christina Ricci, who had been cast as the lead in Girlfriend In A Coma, exited the pilot. After seeing a number of actresses, the pilot’s auspices concluded that the talent pool so late in the pilot season is just not wide enough to find a suitable replacement for the Karen role, which carries the project. Based on Douglas Coupland’s book, Girlfriend In A Coma centers on Karen, a woman who was in a coma for many years and unexpectedly wakes up to find she has a 17-year-old daughter, Evie (Miranda Cosgrove). Daniel Stern and Ann Cusack play Karen’s parents, who have been raising Evie. The Girlfriend In A Coma script was a favorite of NBC executives who remain committed to making the pilot as part of the current cycle, with filming tentatively scheduled for June.
NBC Pilot ‘Girlfriend In A Coma’ Pushed
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over