Sexual Healing is becoming a bit of a mini-Law & Order reunion. S. Epatha Merkerson, who played Lt. Anita van Buren on the series for 19 years, is in negotiations to play Marvin’s Gaye’s mother Alberta in the music biopic. Currently seen in a recurring role on NBC’s Deception, Merkerson would join fellow Law & Order actor Jesse L Martin in the Julien Temple-directed film. Martin signed on recently to play the Motown legend after initial lead Lenny Kravitz dropped out following legal concerns by Gaye’s heirs. Those concerns have now been put to rest and the movie is moving ahead, with Brendan Gleeson co-starring as British music promoter Freddy Cousaert. Vassal Benford and Fred Bestall are producing. Sexual Healing focuses on the time Gaye spent in Europe in the early 1980s, when the soul singer attempted to get his addictions under control and career back on track with the help of Cousaert. Gaye was shot by his father and died in Los Angeles on April 1, 1984 with his mother in the house. Merkerson is repped by ICM Partners, McGowan Management and attorney Roger S. Haber.
S. Epatha Merkerson In Talks To Play Marvin Gaye’s Mother In Biopic
What's Hot on Deadline
Roman Polanski On Netflix Impact On Moviegoing: "I Don't Think It's A Basic Threat For Cinema" - Cannes
Latest TV News
- Zbigniew Brzezinski Dies: Jimmy Carter’s National Security Adviser & MSNBC Host Mika Brzezinski’s Father…
- Donald Trump Son-In Law Jared Kushner Discussed Secret Communication Channel With Russia: Report
- Stephen Colbert Explains How Donald Trump Alpha-Dogged His Way Through NATO Summit
- ‘The Simpsons’: Donald Trump Gets A Thank-You From Richard Nixon’s Ghost
- Viacom’s Great Program Migration: Guide To Which Show Moved Where
- MSNBC President Phil Griffin Signs New Deal; Whither Goest Lawrence O’Donnell?