Last year, against all odds, HBO stuck with Mike White and Laura Dern’s dark comedy Enlightened after a very low rated first season. But there was no miracle this time, with the network making a decision not to order a third season. “It was a very difficult decision,” HBO said in a statement. “We’re proud of the show and we look forward to working with Mike White and Laura Dern in the future.” Despite improving slightly on Season 1 after moving to a protected Sunday slot after a rough Monday tryout last year, Enlightened still trailed HBO’s other original series. Its second-season premiere drew 300,000 viewers, a third of the viewership of its lead-in, Girls. The show’s first season landed star Dern a Golden Globe though it has not been as popular in the awards circles as fellow HBO female-centered comedies Girls and Veep.
HBO’s ‘Enlightened’ Cancelled After Two Seasons
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Rachel Brosnahan To Star In CBS Miniseries 'The Dovekeepers'
- NBC Cancels 'Working the Engels'
- Fox Buys Sibling Rivalry Comedy From Dana Klein With Put Pilot Commitment
- Showtime Renews 'Ray Donovan' & 'Masters Of Sex' For Third Season
- HBO Developing Musical Comedy From Bruce Eric Kaplan
- Mark Burnett & Roma Downey Producing Guardian Angels Drama For NBC