Last year, against all odds, HBO stuck with Mike White and Laura Dern’s dark comedy Enlightened after a very low rated first season. But there was no miracle this time, with the network making a decision not to order a third season. “It was a very difficult decision,” HBO said in a statement. “We’re proud of the show and we look forward to working with Mike White and Laura Dern in the future.” Despite improving slightly on Season 1 after moving to a protected Sunday slot after a rough Monday tryout last year, Enlightened still trailed HBO’s other original series. Its second-season premiere drew 300,000 viewers, a third of the viewership of its lead-in, Girls. The show’s first season landed star Dern a Golden Globe though it has not been as popular in the awards circles as fellow HBO female-centered comedies Girls and Veep.
HBO’s ‘Enlightened’ Cancelled After Two Seasons
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- South Korean Cultural Minister Arrested Over Artists Blacklist
- Jimmy Kimmel Vows To Mine Donald Trump Presidency For Laughs
- More Than 200 Arrested But Protests Don’t Trump Inaugural Festivities
- Joy Reid To Trevor Noah: Media Must Study Vladimir Putin’s Authoritarian Regime To Cover President Trump
- Bill Maher Calls Trump Inaugural Address “Joyless And Ugly And Dividing”
- Did Twitter Force Obama Supporters To Follow New Trump @POTUS Account?