Last year, against all odds, HBO stuck with Mike White and Laura Dern’s dark comedy Enlightened after a very low rated first season. But there was no miracle this time, with the network making a decision not to order a third season. “It was a very difficult decision,” HBO said in a statement. “We’re proud of the show and we look forward to working with Mike White and Laura Dern in the future.” Despite improving slightly on Season 1 after moving to a protected Sunday slot after a rough Monday tryout last year, Enlightened still trailed HBO’s other original series. Its second-season premiere drew 300,000 viewers, a third of the viewership of its lead-in, Girls. The show’s first season landed star Dern a Golden Globe though it has not been as popular in the awards circles as fellow HBO female-centered comedies Girls and Veep.
HBO’s ‘Enlightened’ Cancelled After Two Seasons
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Stephen Gaghan To Direct AMC Pilot 'White City'
- ABC Buys Family Comedy From Eric Falconer & Greg Garcia
- VH1 Orders 'T.I.& Tiny: The Family Hustle' Spinoff Series Starring Tiny & Shekinah
- ER Drama 'Code Black' From Michael Seitzman Gets CBS Put Pilot Commitment
- CBS Buys Medical Drama From Sarah Watson & Jason Katims As Put Pilot
- Amblin TV Preps 'Minority Report' Series With 'Godzilla' Writer