“Maybe HBO Go, with our broadband partners, could evolve”, HBO CEO Richard Plepler told Reuters after the Season 3 premiere of Game Of Thrones. HBO launched HBO GO in 2010 to let cable HBO subscribers view shows on Internet devices such as iPads or Android tablets. However, HBO GO is only available to viewers who pay varying monthly fees for cable TV service, plus additional subscription costs for HBO or other premium channels that can push their cable bills to $100 monthly or more. Plepler suggested that HBO GO possibly could also be packaged with a monthly Internet service for a lower cost. Customers could pay $50 a month for their broadband and an extra $10 or $15 for HBO. Plepler in January ruled out an Internet-only product because it’s not in the company’s best interests. Even so, Game of Thrones has been pirated heavily online, and making HBO Go available to non-subscribers would provide a legal alternative. John Bradley-West, one of the actors on the show, said piracy might be reduced if HBO offered a season pass via Apple’s iTunes store. For now, though, HBO is not changing its Game of Thrones distribution windows for DVDs and downloads.
HBO Go Considered For Non-Cable Subscribers: Report
What's Hot on Deadline
'Captain America: Civil War' To Break Out In The U.S.; Looks To Defeat 'Ultron's $191M+ Debut - Box Office Preview
'Captain America: Civil War' Grabs $200.4M In Debut; 'Jungle Book' A Beast, And With 'Zootopia' Disney Has $1.24B From Three Titles - Int'l Box Office Final
Donald Trump Drums Ted Cruz Out Of Race, Praises Him As "One Hell Of A Competitor" with "Amazing Future"
Disney Swingin' As 'The Jungle Book' Beats $700M Global; 'Captain America: Civil War' Rises To $224.3M Offshore
Latest TV News
- FCC Approves Altice’s $17.7B Acquisition Of Cablevision Citing Absence Of Harms
- Ted Cruz Drops Out Of White House Race After Donald Trump Mows Him Down In Indiana Primary – UPDATE
- Deadline’s The Contenders Emmys Video: Hulu’s ‘Casual’ Takes Its Tales Of Dating Woes From Real Life…
- ‘Peaky Blinders’ Season 3 Gets Netflix U.S. Debut Date
- Geraldo Rivera Sits Down With El Chapo Gal Pal Kate Del Castillo On Saturday
- AOL To Open Studio For Live Virtual Reality Productions In NYC – Newfront