Focus World, the alternative distribution initiative of Focus Features, is partnering with Screen Media Films on acquiring U.S. rights to The Lifeguard, the Kristen Bell-starrer that debuted at Sundance. The film will hit theaters and digital platforms. Written and directed by Liz W. Garcia, the pic stars Bell as a 30-year-old whose career and love life fall into crisis. She retreats home and regresses back into high school life, hanging with her old pals and reclaiming her old job as a condo complex lifeguard. Mamie Gummer, Martin Starr and Amy Madigan also star. Bell, who stars in Showtime’s House Of Lies, just spearheaded a successful Kickstarter funding campaign that means she’ll also star in a movie version of her series Veronica Mars. CAA repped Lifeguard.
Focus World, Screen Media Acquire Kristen Bell-Starrer ‘The Lifeguard’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- A 'Sophie's Choice': 'Jaws' Or 'Goodfellas'?
- Paul Schrader's 'Dying Of The Light' Acquired By Lionsgate Home Entertainment
- Warner Bros Pre-empts 'Mack Bolan'; Bradley Cooper, Todd Phillips Aboard
- Bart & Fleming: On Robin Williams And Empathetic Star Send-Offs
- Q&A: 'The Giver's Lois Lowry And Phillip Noyce On The Give And Take Between Author And Director
- 'Sin City 2′ To Launch With Tarantino 'Hateful Eight' Teaser