The highly promoted videogame had been targeted for June to coincide with the release of Monsters University. Disney Infinity will include a host of Disney characters including Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story as well as members of The Incredibles. Players personalize the game by collecting characters, vehicles, and gadgets and saving them to a virtual Toy Box they use in the game — sort of like Activision Blizzard’s Skylanders which has generated more than $1 billion in sales since its 2011 arrival, according to the New York Times. Disney Interactive Co-President John Pleasants told the NYT that retailers had pushed for an introduction date closer to the holiday season. The August 18 rollout means much less of the major release of the game will be counted in Disney’s fiscal year that ends in September. The interactive unit, which also includes Disney’s web and mobile platforms, hasn’t had a profitable year since it was formed in 2008. It generated $9 million in operating income on $291 million in revenue last quarter.
Disney Infinity Launch Delayed Till Aug. 18
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest Film News
- Denzel Washington To Receive New Dramatists’ 2018 Distinguished Achievement Award
- ‘Tomb Raider’ Tops $100M Offshore, Digs Up $41M In China – International Box Office
- 'Flower' Blooms In Trio Of Pots; 'Keep The Change' Solid: Specialty Box Office
- Desilu Exploring U.S. Public Offering After Acquisition Of Israel’s Vonetize
- ‘The Shape Of Water’ Has Fairy Tale $10M+ China Opening; Crosses $100M Overseas
- Paramount’s ‘Dora The Explorer’ Movie Set For Australia Shoot After Tax Break Concession