The cash likely will be used to help Discovery pay for its planned $1.7B acquisition of ProSiebenSat.1 Group’s SBS Nordic operations — and possibly the $1B increase the company announced last year in its stock repurchase plan. Discovery will raise funds from two sales of senior unsecured notes: it will pay 3.250% a year in interest for $350M in notes due in 2023, and 4.875% interest for $850M due in 2043. (The rates and maturity periods are remarkably similar to those in the $550M borrowing plans that Viacom announced yesterday.) Discovery’s taking advantage of the market’s low interest rates and its investment-grade debt ratings from Moody’s Investors Service (which classifies the company as Baa2), Standard & Poor’s (BBB) and Fitch (BBB). Discovery’s upbeat about the performance of its operations and says the SBS deal and a strategic alliance with France’s TF1 will help. But Moody’s calls its deals “an aggressive use of cash and debt that increase leverage and will weakly position the company within the Baa2 rating category for the next 12- 18 months.” The joint bookrunners on the debt sale are J.P Morgan, Merrill Lynch, Credit Suisse, Citigroup, and RBS Securities.
Discovery To Borrow $1.2B After Its Dealmaking Spree
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest Business News
- Denzel Washington To Receive New Dramatists’ 2018 Distinguished Achievement Award
- Santa Fe IATSE Boss Jon Hendry Resigns Amid Sex Harassment Scandal
- Michael Gershman Dies: The ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’, ‘Crossing Jordan’ Cinematographer Was 73
- Veteran Cirque Du Soleil Performer Dies After Fall During Tampa Show
- Desilu Exploring U.S. Public Offering After Acquisition Of Israel’s Vonetize
- The Roots Cancel SXSW Concert After Bomb Threat; Suspect Arrested – Update