Filmmakers behind 2016: Obama’s America, the second-highest grossing political documentary of all time, are preparing a followup film. Dinesh D’Souza, bestselling author and co-director/co-writer of 2016, announced the new movie which will be titled America. D’Souza will write and host America and his 2016 co-director John Sullivan will direct. Gerald R. Molen returns as producer. In his announcement D’Souza described the new film as taking a cue from James Stewart’s character George Bailey in It’s A Wonderful Life, imagining what today’s world would be like if America had never existed because “we are now living in the America that we warned our fellow citizens could come to pass if President Obama were re-elected”. 2016: Obama’s America debuted in a single theater on July 13, 2012 and went on to gross nearly $33.5 million. The new film America is targeted for release in mid-2014.
Anti-Obama Filmmaker Plans ‘America’ Followup Movie For 2014
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'
- A+E Networks Outbids Time Warner For 10% Vice Media Stake
- HBO Miniseries 'Olive Kitteridge' Sets November Premiere Dates
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Is “Resting Comfortably”, Says Daughter Melissa