After a long courtship, Carla Gugino has signed on as the female lead opposite Steve Coogan in David Shore’s ABC legal drama pilot Doubt. Also cast in the project, from Sony TV, is John Pankow. It centers on Vincent (Coogan), a former cop who’s now a cunning but charming low-rent lawyer using his street smarts to work the system for his clients while battling his own demons and wooing his ex-wife Linda (Gugino). Linda is a no-nonsense ADA who has little patience for courtroom antics, especially when it comes to her impulsive ex-husband. Despite their separation, they still hook up occasionally for torrid sex, and although she can no longer live with Vince, it’s apparent that Linda still has a deep affection for him. Pankow plays Mr. Syd Newman, an old-school attorney who works with his wife and fellow lawyer in offices that they rent from Vince. Gugino, repped by CAA and Untitled, was first approached for Doubt more than a month ago, one of several pilot offers she fielded this season. She recently co-starred on USA’s Political Animals and did an arc on Fox’s New Girl and will next be seen in the indie Match opposite Patrick Stewart. Doubt marks Gugino’s return to ABC, where she toplined the praised 2003 drama Karen Sisco.
Carla Gugino To Star In ABC Pilot ‘Doubt’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Fall Festival Verdict: Who's In, Who's Out As The 2014 Oscar Race Gets Its First Real Shot Of Adrenaline
More From Andreeva
- Mykelti Williamson To Recur (And Sing) On ABC's 'Nashville'
- Brad Copeland To Write ABC Comedy Starring Chevy Chase & Beverly D'Angelo
- Angela Kinsey To Topline & Co-Create ABC Buddy Comedy Produced By Darlene Hunt & Will Gluck
- CBS Buys Meatball Restaurant Comedy From Bill Lawrence, Jeff Astrof & All3Media With Production Commitment
- Q&A: Laurence Fishburne On 'Black-Ish' Comedic Turn, 'Hannibal' Return & 'CSI'
- AMC To Board Channel 4 Series 'Humans' As Xbox Entertainment Studios Downsizes Slate & Mulls Possible Future