BBC Two has commissioned the feature-length The Wipers Times with My Week With Marilyn‘s David Parfitt producing. Based on the true story of the creation of a satirical magazine that was published in the trenches during World War I, the film stars Ben Chaplin as Captain Fred Roberts who discovered a printing press in the ruins of Ypres, Belgium in 1916 and began publishing the blackly comic Wipers Times for troops on the Western Front. Principal photography has begun in Northern Ireland with Monty Python’s Michael Palin, Julian Rhind-Tutt (The Hour), Steve Oram (Sightseers) and Emilia Fox (Silent Witness) also starring. The Trademark Films production is directed by Andy de Emmony and written by Ian Hislop and Nick Newman. Exec producers are Ivan Mactaggart and Martin Davidson. The movie, to be delivered this summer, does not yet have a UK air date and Trademark tells me producers are hoping for some theatrical play outside the territory. Content Media will start sales in Toronto, once the film is complete. BBC, Northern Ireland Screen Fund, Goldcrest Films and Content are financing.
Ben Chaplin, Michael Palin In The Trenches For ‘The Wipers Times’
What's Hot on Deadline
Is Melissa McCarthy The Best R-Rated Comedienne Ever? She Makes Her Case In Red Band 'The Boss' Trailer
'The Brothers Grimsby': Trailer Or Titillating Clip "Shown" On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' – Which Works Better?
Latest International News
- BAFTA Awards: London Teed Up For Royal Party Weekend
- Barack Obama First-Date Movie ‘Southside With You’ Near Deal With Miramax, Roadside Attractions
- ‘Rebel In The Rye’ Adds Laura Dern, Brian d’Arcy James & Hope Davis – Berlin
- Nicolas Cage Reunites With ‘Ghost Rider’ Helmer On Horror Thriller ‘Mom And Dad’ – Berlin
- Voltage Scares Berlin With Vang Brothers’ Bogeyman Title ‘Bedeviled’
- Margot Robbie To Star In Vaughn Stein’s ‘Terminal’; Highland Film Group Financing & Selling…