GLAAD announced that Madonna will present CNN’s Anderson Cooper with the lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender media advocacy organization’s Vito Russo Award at the 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards at the New York ceremony Saturday, March 16. The San Francisco ceremony is April 20. Cooper and Madonna are longtime friends. The Vito Russo Award is presented to an openly lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender media professional who has contributed to promoting equality. It’s named for Vito Russo, a founder of GLAAD and activist with ACT UP who chronicled early depictions of LGBT people in movies and in his book The Celluloid Closet. Previous honorees include Ricky Martin, Rosie O’Donnell, Alan Cumming, Cynthia Nixon, Nathan Lane, Cherry Jones, Elton John, k.d. lang, Brian Graden, and Tom Ford.
Anderson Cooper To Receive GLAAD Honor
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' (Video)
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'