EXCLUSIVE: Zooey Deschanel is becoming a full-fledged TV producer. The New Girl star has launched a production company with her Hello Giggles partner Sophia Rossi, which has inked a two-year first-look deal with 20th Century Fox TV, the studio behind New Girl. Under the pact, Deschanel and Rossi will develop new projects for the studio. The two tried their hand at producing this season with Must Be Nice, a comedy written by New Girl consulting producer J.J. Philbin and produced by 20th TV, which sold to Fox, the network that airs New Girl. Deschanel and Rossi executive produced that project with Molly McAleer (2 Broke Girls), their partner at female-centric Web site Hello Giggles, which the trio launched in 2011. “We’ve known Zooey as an actress through New Girl, and as we got to know her as a producer through the script she developed, we quickly realized that there is so much more to her,” 20th TV chairman Gary Newman said. “Zooey and Sophia have their finger on the pulse of young people and particularly young women, and we really responded to that.” Deschanel is repped by UTA, Seven Summits and Hanson Jacobson; Rossi by UTA, Ziffren Brittenham and 3 Arts.
Zooey Deschanel Launches Production Co., Signs First-Look Deal With 20th TV
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Nastaran Dibai & Aaron Kaplan Re-Team For ABC Romantic Comedy
- CBS Buys Comedy From Andrew Reich, Ted Cohen & Gail Berman
- Shea Whigham To Co-Star On 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- 'Shark Tank' Star Kevin O'Leary Signs With UTA
- Jacki Weaver To Co-Star In Seth MacFarlane's 'Blunt Talk' Series On Starz
- CW's 'The Flash' & 'Jane The Virgin' Get Backup Script Orders Ahead Of Premieres