Self-financing viral shorts to attract studio attention worked for Mortal Kombat‘s Kevin Tancharoen and Y The Last Man‘s Dan Trachtenberg. Now it’s stunt-veteran-turned-director Jesse V. Johnson’s turn. The helmer behind Anchor Bay‘s The Package and the recently announced Kill ‘Em All, John (both vehicles for former wrestler “Stone Cold” Steve Austin) put together $3500 and called in a lot of favors to make a “fan film” to demonstrate his chops beyond direct-to-video action fare. He cast Danish singer Nina Bergman as Wonder Woman and got Peter Stormare and Sons Of Anarchy‘s Timothy V. Murphy to play oily Nazis. The resulting video, produced by Hugh Daly and Faz Brahimi and aided by Johnson’s Station 3 manager and producing partner Kailey Marsh, made its way through the fanboy set after debuting today. That audience has been clamoring for Hollywood to figure out how to bring the DC heroine to life in the two years since NBC pulled the plug on David E. Kelley’s Wonder Woman series. Meanwhile Warner Bros.’ Justice League pic is still in the works and The CW last month rolled their Amazon project to next season. Watch Johnson’s Wonder Woman short here:
‘Wonder Woman’ Viral Video Aims To Show Off Action Director’s Chops
What's Hot on Deadline
Cloris Leachman On Gene Wilder & The 'Young Frankenstein' Scene That Cracked Him Up: "We Had To Do It 14 Times"
Bruce Lee-Inspired Crime Drama ‘Warrior’ From Justin Lin & 'Banshee' Co-Creator Gets Cinemax Pilot Order
Latest Film News
- WME Vet Cliff Roberts Exiting; Will He End Up At CAA?
- Josh Hartnett In Talks To Star In Indie ‘A Moment To Remember’
- ‘Underground’ Exec Producer Mike Jackson On Challenging “Homogeneous” Hollywood & Having John Legend As…
- Tao Okamoto, Japanese Pop Star Kihiro, And Haruka Abe Cast In ‘She’s Just A Shadow’
- ‘Insidious: Chapter 4’ Rounds Out Final Cast
- ‘Arrow’s Colton Haynes Cast In ‘Rock That Body’