Self-financing viral shorts to attract studio attention worked for Mortal Kombat‘s Kevin Tancharoen and Y The Last Man‘s Dan Trachtenberg. Now it’s stunt-veteran-turned-director Jesse V. Johnson’s turn. The helmer behind Anchor Bay‘s The Package and the recently announced Kill ‘Em All, John (both vehicles for former wrestler “Stone Cold” Steve Austin) put together $3500 and called in a lot of favors to make a “fan film” to demonstrate his chops beyond direct-to-video action fare. He cast Danish singer Nina Bergman as Wonder Woman and got Peter Stormare and Sons Of Anarchy‘s Timothy V. Murphy to play oily Nazis. The resulting video, produced by Hugh Daly and Faz Brahimi and aided by Johnson’s Station 3 manager and producing partner Kailey Marsh, made its way through the fanboy set after debuting today. That audience has been clamoring for Hollywood to figure out how to bring the DC heroine to life in the two years since NBC pulled the plug on David E. Kelley’s Wonder Woman series. Meanwhile Warner Bros.’ Justice League pic is still in the works and The CW last month rolled their Amazon project to next season. Watch Johnson’s Wonder Woman short here:
‘Wonder Woman’ Viral Video Aims To Show Off Action Director’s Chops
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Yamato
- 'Zeroville' Adds Seth Rogen, Megan Fox & More; Brad Carter Lands 'The Revenant;' Noah Segan Enlists In 'War Pigs'
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Trailer Smashes Viewing Record; More Footage Coming
- Dark Sky Dips Into Postapocalyptic Thriller 'The Well'
- 'Banshee Chapter' First Virtual Reality Film To Hit Oculus Rift
- 'Insidious: Chapter 3′ Scares Up First Teaser – Video
- Kiernan Shipka, Meg Ryan Board Teen Comedy 'Fan Girl'