This is Starz‘s first quarterly earnings report as an independent company, following the recent spinoff by Liberty Media, and doesn’t have some of the data you find in other earnings releases. The company says it had operating income (as opposed to net income) of $85.6M, down 2% from the end of 2011, on revenues of $422.2M, also -2%. The revenue figure beat analyst estimates for $417.7M. Starz says that the slide is partly due to the fact that The Weinstein Company had fewer titles available than in Q4 2011, and partly due to “the non-renewal of the Netflix agreement” which expired in February 2012. Starz Networks didn’t have a new original series premiere at the end of 2012, a contrast with the previous year when it introduced Boss. CEO Chris Albrecht says that the pipeline of original series including Da Vinci’s Demons, Magic City and The White Queen “is setting the stage for our long-term growth as an independent public company.” He told analysts that Starz gave up bidding to renew its film deal with Disney, which expires in 2016, because Netflix “significantly, with a capital ‘S,’ increased the price.” Starz ended 2012 with 21.2M subscriptions, up 400,000 from the end of Q3, while Encore had 34.8M, up 500,000.
Starz Q4 Revenues Slip Following Split With Netflix
What's Hot on Deadline
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
Trump-Linked Cambridge Analytica Stole Data From 50M Facebook Users And "Targeted Their Inner Demons:" Reports
Latest Business News
- Ellen Barkin Says “Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam” After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
- Kathy Griffin Comeback Show At Carnegie Hall Nearly Sells Out In A Day
- Trump-Linked Cambridge Analytica Stole Data From 50M Facebook Users And “Targeted Their Inner Demons:” Reports
- Charlize Theron Says Arming Teachers With Guns Is “So Outrageous”
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions Fires FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe
- Hispanic Group Urges Netflix To Give ‘One Day At A Time’ A Season 3