This is Starz‘s first quarterly earnings report as an independent company, following the recent spinoff by Liberty Media, and doesn’t have some of the data you find in other earnings releases. The company says it had operating income (as opposed to net income) of $85.6M, down 2% from the end of 2011, on revenues of $422.2M, also -2%. The revenue figure beat analyst estimates for $417.7M. Starz says that the slide is partly due to the fact that The Weinstein Company had fewer titles available than in Q4 2011, and partly due to “the non-renewal of the Netflix agreement” which expired in February 2012. Starz Networks didn’t have a new original series premiere at the end of 2012, a contrast with the previous year when it introduced Boss. CEO Chris Albrecht says that the pipeline of original series including Da Vinci’s Demons, Magic City and The White Queen “is setting the stage for our long-term growth as an independent public company.” He told analysts that Starz gave up bidding to renew its film deal with Disney, which expires in 2016, because Netflix “significantly, with a capital ‘S,’ increased the price.” Starz ended 2012 with 21.2M subscriptions, up 400,000 from the end of Q3, while Encore had 34.8M, up 500,000.
Starz Q4 Revenues Slip Following Split With Netflix
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland,' 'Pitch Perfect' Compete As 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Friday
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest Business News
- ‘Tomorrowland,’ ‘Pitch Perfect’ Compete As ‘Mad Max’ Holds Strong; ‘Ultron’ To Cross $400M – Box…
- Point.360 To Acquire Troubled Postproduction House Modern VideoFilm
- Time Warner Cable Nears A Decision On A New Merger Deal – Reports
- Hollywood Teamsters Reach Contract Deal With Basic Crafts Unions
- Martha Coolidge: Blaming DGA For Lack Of Female Directors Is “Dangerous Side-Path”
- Ava DuVernay & Eli Roth Added To PGA’s Produced By Conference