Disney CEO Bob Iger’s announcement Tuesday that the studio plans new Star Wars spinoff films has caused an avalanche of rumors online about which characters will star. Jedi master Yoda, bounty hunter Boba Fett, a young Han Solo are named the most. Deadline, however, has learned that nothing is written in stone yet. A source tells me: “Nobody knows when these movies are even coming out. Right now, people are just kicking around ideas. Which is why you hear it’s Yoda one day and a young Han Solo another. It’s all in early development right now.” Iger, whose Disney recently bought LucasFilm, himself said yesterday during an earnings call that the concept for the new films is simply “becoming more real”. He also confirmed that Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan are going to handle the screenplays. Right now the studio’s attention is on Star Wars: Episode VII which is expected out in 2015 with JJ Abrams directing and Michael Arndt scripting. Two more Star Wars movies, Episodes VIII and IX, are coming in the next few years.
‘Star Wars’ Spinoff Films Nowhere Near Set: Disney Still “Just Kicking Around Ideas”
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Last Jedi' Now Opening To $220M: How Disney Continues To Win With The 'Star Wars' Franchise - Update
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Skyrockets To $230M Overseas, $450M Global Bow - International Box Office
Harvey Weinstein Again Denies Blackballing Actresses: Says He Wanted Ashley Judd For 'Good Will Hunting'
Latest Film News
- Johnny Depp’s Ex-Lawyers Suing ‘Pirates’ Star Back After He Hit Them For $30M
- 'I, Tonya' Ices Robust Weekend; 'Disaster Artist', 'Shape of Water' & 'Call Me By Your Name' Expand – Specialty…
- ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Skyrockets To $230M Overseas, $450M Global Bow – International Box Office
- Harvey Weinstein Again Denies Blackballing Actresses: Says He Wanted Ashley Judd For ‘Good Will Hunting’
- ‘The Room’ Filmmaker Tommy Wiseau Pitched Himself For Next ‘Star Wars’ Movie
- ‘Darkest Hour’ Is Gary Oldman’s “Man On A Mission” Movie