Disney CEO Bob Iger’s announcement Tuesday that the studio plans new Star Wars spinoff films has caused an avalanche of rumors online about which characters will star. Jedi master Yoda, bounty hunter Boba Fett, a young Han Solo are named the most. Deadline, however, has learned that nothing is written in stone yet. A source tells me: “Nobody knows when these movies are even coming out. Right now, people are just kicking around ideas. Which is why you hear it’s Yoda one day and a young Han Solo another. It’s all in early development right now.” Iger, whose Disney recently bought LucasFilm, himself said yesterday during an earnings call that the concept for the new films is simply “becoming more real”. He also confirmed that Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan are going to handle the screenplays. Right now the studio’s attention is on Star Wars: Episode VII which is expected out in 2015 with JJ Abrams directing and Michael Arndt scripting. Two more Star Wars movies, Episodes VIII and IX, are coming in the next few years.
‘Star Wars’ Spinoff Films Nowhere Near Set: Disney Still “Just Kicking Around Ideas”
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland,' 'Pitch Perfect' Battling For No. 1; 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Saturday
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
Latest Film News
- How Director Rick Famuyiwa Grew ‘Dope’ – Cannes Q&A
- Michael Fassbender In ‘Macbeth': A Pair Of Clips From Cannes
- Un Certain Regard Winners: ‘Rams’, ‘The High Sun’, ‘Treasure’ & More – Cannes
- ‘Son Of Saul’ Wins FIPRESCI; Ecumenical Jury Honors ‘Mia Madre’ – Cannes
- Hot Cannes ‘Circle’ Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In ‘Assassin’s Creed’, New ‘Bourne…
- ‘Tomorrowland,’ ‘Pitch Perfect’ Battling For No. 1; ‘Mad Max’ Holds Strong; ‘Ultron’ To Cross $400M – Box…