Disney CEO Bob Iger’s announcement Tuesday that the studio plans new Star Wars spinoff films has caused an avalanche of rumors online about which characters will star. Jedi master Yoda, bounty hunter Boba Fett, a young Han Solo are named the most. Deadline, however, has learned that nothing is written in stone yet. A source tells me: “Nobody knows when these movies are even coming out. Right now, people are just kicking around ideas. Which is why you hear it’s Yoda one day and a young Han Solo another. It’s all in early development right now.” Iger, whose Disney recently bought LucasFilm, himself said yesterday during an earnings call that the concept for the new films is simply “becoming more real”. He also confirmed that Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan are going to handle the screenplays. Right now the studio’s attention is on Star Wars: Episode VII which is expected out in 2015 with JJ Abrams directing and Michael Arndt scripting. Two more Star Wars movies, Episodes VIII and IX, are coming in the next few years.
‘Star Wars’ Spinoff Films Nowhere Near Set: Disney Still “Just Kicking Around Ideas”
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest Film News
- Denzel Washington To Receive New Dramatists’ 2018 Distinguished Achievement Award
- ‘Tomb Raider’ Tops $100M Offshore, Digs Up $41M In China – International Box Office
- 'Flower' Blooms In Trio Of Pots; 'Keep The Change' Solid: Specialty Box Office
- Desilu Exploring U.S. Public Offering After Acquisition Of Israel’s Vonetize
- ‘The Shape Of Water’ Has Fairy Tale $10M+ China Opening; Crosses $100M Overseas
- Paramount’s ‘Dora The Explorer’ Movie Set For Australia Shoot After Tax Break Concession