Disney CEO Bob Iger’s announcement Tuesday that the studio plans new Star Wars spinoff films has caused an avalanche of rumors online about which characters will star. Jedi master Yoda, bounty hunter Boba Fett, a young Han Solo are named the most. Deadline, however, has learned that nothing is written in stone yet. A source tells me: “Nobody knows when these movies are even coming out. Right now, people are just kicking around ideas. Which is why you hear it’s Yoda one day and a young Han Solo another. It’s all in early development right now.” Iger, whose Disney recently bought LucasFilm, himself said yesterday during an earnings call that the concept for the new films is simply “becoming more real”. He also confirmed that Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan are going to handle the screenplays. Right now the studio’s attention is on Star Wars: Episode VII which is expected out in 2015 with JJ Abrams directing and Michael Arndt scripting. Two more Star Wars movies, Episodes VIII and IX, are coming in the next few years.
‘Star Wars’ Spinoff Films Nowhere Near Set: Disney Still “Just Kicking Around Ideas”
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Brothers Grimsby': Trailer Or Titillating Clip "Shown" On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' – Which Works Better?
Latest Film News
- Peter Bart: Oscar Trail Is Long And Winding For The Smart Filmmakers Of ‘Spotlight’ and ‘The Big Short…
- Les Moonves Says He Has “Free Rein” To Run CBS, But Likes “Stability”
- Endurance Media Taps Steve Barnett As Production Prexy, Acquires Trio Of Scripts
- ‘Deadpool’ Very Much Alive In $12M Overseas Open; $80M Intl Weekend Ahead?
- CBS Q4 Revenues Beat Expectations With 8% Growth In Network Ad Sales
- Douglas Smith Joins Jessica Chastain’s Team In ‘Miss Sloane’