Sony‘s third-quarter results for the period ending December 31 show a net loss of 10.8B yen ($124M). That marks the eighth straight quarterly loss for the Japanese giant but is a marked reduction from the $1.7B loss in the same period a year prior. Operating income was reported in the black at $534M compared to a much bigger loss in the comparable period last year. Sales and operating revenue climbed 6.9% to $22.4B and that hike was largely due to a weakening yen along with boosts in the mobile products & communication, film and financial services divisions. The movie business saw a 30.1% increase to $2.4B in sales and operating revenue and $291M in operating income. In part, Sony has James Bond’s more than $1B in box office to thank for that. The global juggernaut Skyfall, along with Hotel Transylvania, helped boost the division with home entertainment revenues aided by the strong performance of The Amazing Spider-Man and Men In Black 3. The corporation expects to have positive net income this year which would be the first time it’s been profitable in half a decade.
Sony’s Q3 Results Show Narrowed Net Loss, Film Biz Gets Boost From ‘Skyfall’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Final Update
'Mockingjay' Rules Roost; 'Good Dinosaur' Hatches With $29M; 'The Martian' Lands $50M In China - Intl Box Office Update
’The Danish Girl’ Bows With Style; 'Janis: Little Girl Blue' Solid In Debut; 'Carol’ Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty B.O.
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Latest Film News
- ‘Mockingjay’ Rules Roost; ‘Good Dinosaur’ Hatches With $29M; ‘The Martian’ Lands $50M In China – Intl Box…
- 'The Danish Girl' Bows With Style; ‘Janis: Little Girl Blue’ Solid In Debut; ‘Carol' Dominates Thanksgiving…
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best…
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance