Donald Richie, an American writer best known for his analyses of Japanese cinema and its postwar directors, died today at a Tokyo hospital. He was 88. Richie and Joseph Anderson published in 1959 what is considered the first English-language book on Japanese movies, The Japanese Film: Art And Industry. In his memoir, the New York Times reports Richie paid his first visit to a Japanese studio in the 1940s, where where he met a director in a white floppy hat and “someone I guessed was a star … in a loose Hawaii-shirt.” Thus began Richie’s decades-long relationship with Academy Award-winning director Akira Kurosawa and actor Toshiro Mifune. Richie went on to write several books on Kurosawa and also wrote English subtitles for several of Kurosawa’s films including Kagemusha (1980). Richie also has written analyses of the work of Japanese director Yasujiro Ozu (Tokyo Story) and provided audio commentaries for The Criterion Collection on DVDs of various classic Japanese films, notably those of Ozu (A Story of Floating Weeds and Early Summer). Richie’s other audio commentaries include the work of Mikio Naruse (When A Woman Ascends The Stairs), and Kurosawa (Drunken Angel, Rashomon, The Lower Depths, and The Bad Sleep Well).
R.I.P. Donald Richie
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Motion Pictures Sound Editors’ Golden Reel Awards: 'Hacksaw Ridge,' 'Westworld' Among Winners - Full List
WGA Awards: 'Moonlight' & 'Arrival' Win Top Film Prizes; FX's 'Atlanta' & 'The Americans' Lead TV - Complete Winners List
'The Good Fight' Premiere: Showrunners On New Streaming Setup, Deleted Trump Scene, Alicia & Eli Possibly Coming Back
Latest Film News
- Kim Dotcom Loses U.S. Extradition Appeal, But Claims Victory In Copyright Ruling
- Oscars: Is ‘Moonlight’ Poised To Make History After WGA Original Screenplay Win?
- Motion Pictures Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards: ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ ‘Westworld’ Among Winners…
- Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘People V. O.J. Simpson’ Among Winners…
- WGA Members Outline Top Issues In Looming Contract Negotiations – WGA Awards
- WGA Awards: ‘Moonlight’ & ‘Arrival’ Win Top Film Prizes; FX’s ‘Atlanta’ & ‘The Americans’ Lead TV – Complete…