Donald Richie, an American writer best known for his analyses of Japanese cinema and its postwar directors, died today at a Tokyo hospital. He was 88. Richie and Joseph Anderson published in 1959 what is considered the first English-language book on Japanese movies, The Japanese Film: Art And Industry. In his memoir, the New York Times reports Richie paid his first visit to a Japanese studio in the 1940s, where where he met a director in a white floppy hat and “someone I guessed was a star … in a loose Hawaii-shirt.” Thus began Richie’s decades-long relationship with Academy Award-winning director Akira Kurosawa and actor Toshiro Mifune. Richie went on to write several books on Kurosawa and also wrote English subtitles for several of Kurosawa’s films including Kagemusha (1980). Richie also has written analyses of the work of Japanese director Yasujiro Ozu (Tokyo Story) and provided audio commentaries for The Criterion Collection on DVDs of various classic Japanese films, notably those of Ozu (A Story of Floating Weeds and Early Summer). Richie’s other audio commentaries include the work of Mikio Naruse (When A Woman Ascends The Stairs), and Kurosawa (Drunken Angel, Rashomon, The Lower Depths, and The Bad Sleep Well).
R.I.P. Donald Richie
Trending Now on Deadline
Ferguson Grand Jury Decision: CNN & Fox News Reporters Attacked On-Air; Networks Go Live To Obama Remarks Over No Indictment - Update
Nicole Kidman & Reese Witherspoon To Star In 'Big Little Lies' Limited Series, Penned By David E. Kelley
Guest Stars Set For 'Downton Abbey' Christmas Episode; Endemol Inks With Amber TV: Global Showbiz Briefs
More From Team
- MPTF's Night Before Oscar Fundraiser Setting Up Shop On Fox Lot
- Matt Barr Joins TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot; Katie Sarife In 'The Michelle Knight Story'
- 'Cake' Trailer: Jennifer Aniston Feels The Pain And Shows It
- Regina King To Co-Star In FX Pilot 'Pariah'; Daisy Betts Joins 'Childhood's End' On Syfy
- 'Pan' Teaser: Hugh Jackman, Rooney Mara In Peter Pan Origin Tale
- Film Independent Spirit Award Nominations 2015 – Full List