QED International and Groundswell Productions have joined forces for Birth Of The Dragon, which will focus on Bruce Lee’s career-defining 1965 no-holds–barred TKO battle with kung fu master Wong Jack Man. Written by Oscar nominees Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen Rivele, the film focuses on the Oakland fight that launched Lee to martial arts stardom, which happened against the backdrop of the Hong Kong Triads’ criminal control of San Francisco’s Chinatown. The film will also detail a team-up between the two legends to take on the Triads. The fight with Jack Man was the last official one of Lee’s career before he headed into acting, competition and building his martial arts philosophy. “We’re excited to retell the fantastic origin story of the world’s most famous martial arts icon, which in the hands of Christopher and Stephen, lends itself to an action thriller we’re sure will enthrall movie fans around the world,” QED’s Bill Block said in a statement Tuesday. QED is financing the movie. The film will be produced by Block, Groundswell Productions CEO Michael London, Wilkinson and Rivele, and executive produced by Groundswell’s Kelly Mullen. Wilkinson and Rivele, who worked on Oliver Stone’s Nixon and Michael Mann’s Ali, also wrote the Mercury biopic about Queen frontman Freddie Mercury that Sasha Baron Cohen is set to star in for GK Films.
QED & Groundswell Productions Team For Bruce Lee Origin Movie
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland,' 'Pitch Perfect' Battling For No. 1; 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Saturday
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest Film News
- ‘Tomorrowland,’ ‘Pitch Perfect’ Battling For No. 1; ‘Mad Max’ Holds Strong; ‘Ultron’ To Cross $400M – Box…
- Barbet Schroeder On Robert Durst, ‘Amnesia’ & Why He Hasn’t Made A Hollywood Pic In 13 Years…
- ‘Southpaw’ Screening Pumped Up By Fest Chief Thierry Frémaux – Cannes
- Guillermo Del Toro On Enthralling & Energizing Jury Experience – Cannes Q&A
- Studiocanal & Switzerland’s Impuls Enter Output Deal – Cannes
- Marty Pasetta Dies: Longtime Director Of Academy Awards Telecasts Was 82